Help. Need 10.25 Clutch kit..Obsolete?

eacars

Reaction score
I have a 94 F350 4x4 CC SRW I bought new. I've been using this site for info on repairs but I'm stumped with this one.
My rear will spin both sometimes in mud and snow but sometimes only one. I figure worn out clutch packs. Dealer near Baltimore, Packard Norris can get parts out in one day to Prince Frederick, Md. where I live. A couple days ago, Parts guy gave me PN F75Z4947AB clutch kit for 10.25 . $180.00. After doing several days of research last week I come up with a Yukon YPKF10.25-PC-L Ford case Trac-Loc. Paper composite clutch plates no guides. I found a good deal on one so ordered it. Tore my carrier apart on the bench and see it has steel plates and clutch guides. I figure maybe the replacements go in without the guides but they wouldn't fit in the " clutch ear slot" where the original guides fit. I saw a video on these steel clutch packs with guides that were offered by Dana Spicer PN 72960X but they are now discontinued. I have also seen Yukon has a YPKF10.25-PC-E. Some pics show the clutch guides and steel plates. I call them about the one I ordered not fitting and asked about the ones with guides and they said they aren't available any more. I've looked at 25-30 different places on line that show they are still available and when I ask them to check, they say mistake, no longer available. Even Yukon just said today that it was discontinued and never taken off their site. I call the Ford parts guy back and another guy says the F75Z4947AB was incorrect for my truck. He gave me E5TZ4880A and says it's discontinued. I guess there are a lot of sites that need to clean up there advertisements on obsolete parts. I just spent most of the day putting it all back together and in the truck until I figure this out. Any help would be appreciated.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
They generally don't work much better than what you describe.

Truth. They do a good job for burnouts, and running empty. Put a load in the bed and you'll get stuck on your front lawn with 1 tire spinning.

If your truck is 5spd and have manual hubs... I suggest a lunchbox locker in the front. One of the first major mods I did on my '95 F350 CC SRW PSD. Amazing traction locking the heavy end of the truck.

eacars

Reaction score

eacars

Reaction score
were your clutches severely worn? They generally don't work much better than what you describe.

They didn't look too terribly bad for 240K . Looked like maybe 40-50% worn. I guess they are designed that way. To slip until you load it up. I noticed in the mud, sometimes only 1 will spin. But when I get on hard surface, the axial force spreads the clutch packs and both grab good. The spider gear teeth are cut wedge shape so that when loaded, they crawl higher up the side gears making axial force, pressing harder on the clutch packs. The center pin to keep the axial force distribution equal......When turning, without accelerating, the axial force is low and the clutches can turn more independently easier without hopping and bucking like a Detriot Locker....... A smoother ride in turns but when needed, positive traction, until the clutches wear.... Sounds good anyway...

Black dawg

Reaction score
Play with the e brake some next time your in a one wheel peel situation, if the clutches have any life left this trick works pretty good.

Never had a Detroit....when driven correctly even be noticeable......other than the occasional pop or BANG

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have several sterlings that the factory lsd works perfect, loaded and unloaded. I think like the IDIs “all being underpowered” the sterlings get a bad wrap for all being one tire fires, when both really have to do with the IDIs and sterlings both not getting the maintenance they deserve and perform accordingly.

eacars

Reaction score
Play with the e brake some next time your in a one wheel peel situation, if the clutches have any life left this trick works pretty good.

Never had a Detroit....when driven correctly even be noticeable......other than the occasional pop or BANG

Yes. When I tested it again this week before I tore it apart, I power braked it on hard packed gravel surface driveway and it grabbed good.

In the early 70's high school, my buddy had a 65 Mustang with Detroit and when he pulled up to the bays of the Amoco we worked at, he would turn it tight on purpose to make it hop and buck to the cam lobe. I guess that's why I mentioned bucking and hopping. He did some crazy stuff in that car. Lost a few cops...Those were the days..Now he drives a Crown Vic Unmarked Police Interceptor. He still drives crazy but fairly safe. He said he was showing his brother how the cop car ran and had it sideways around a corner and came up to a cop and waved his hand and the cop waved back. He was always lucky with the crazy things he did

Last edited:

eacars

Reaction score
I have several sterlings that the factory lsd works perfect, loaded and unloaded. I think like the IDIs “all being underpowered” the sterlings get a bad wrap for all being one tire fires, when both really have to do with the IDIs and sterlings both not getting the maintenance they deserve and perform accordingly.

Do you have any info on a clutch kit that will work for my 10.25 ?

RetiringColt

Reaction score
I have ordered from Torque king before. He is based out of Billings MT. Not always the cheapest but usually has it. I just looked on his site and a brand new kit for the sterling 10.25 costs $214.98. LSD only transfer 20-30% of your power from one axle to the other. More if you over stack the clutches, but If you want more you would be better off with a mechanical locker. Hope this helps.

eacars

Reaction score
I have ordered from Torque king before. He is based out of Billings MT. Not always the cheapest but usually has it. I just looked on his site and a brand new kit for the sterling 10.25 costs $214.98. LSD only transfer 20-30% of your power from one axle to the other. More if you over stack the clutches, but If you want more you would be better off with a mechanical locker. Hope this helps.

That is one of the 20-30 places I've checked. They too say not available any more. Here is their ad. Shows a good picture of the clutches with the guides......Thanks just the same

https://torqueking.com/product/4061...lip-clutch-pack-for-ford-sterling-10-25-10-5/

eacars

Reaction score
That is one of the 20-30 places I've checked. They too say not available any more. Here is their ad. Shows a good picture of the clutches with the guides......Thanks just the same

https://torqueking.com/product/4061...lip-clutch-pack-for-ford-sterling-10-25-10-5/

I guess I could get a 10.5 3 pinion posi and use that in my 10.25 housing. I do have the long splined pinion shaft already. Unlike the Dana Trac Lok that I have, the Visteon 10.5 carrier splits in half making the clutch kit and internal work much easier. Especially rotating the spiders gears in and out. And parts shouldn't be a problem.

Test drove it today with old clutches and it seamed to work great. Cleaned everything real good in diesel fuel, fresh gear oil and ford x3 modifier. It's good for now.

Last edited:

Cr500

Reaction score
I guess I could get a 10.5 3 pinion posi and use that in my 10.25 housing. I do have the long splined pinion shaft already. Unlike the Dana Trac Lok that I have, the Visteon 10.5 carrier splits in half making the clutch kit and internal work much easier. Especially rotating the spiders gears in and out. And parts shouldn't be a problem.

Test drove it today with old clutches and it seamed to work great. Cleaned everything real good in diesel fuel, fresh gear oil and ford x3 modifier. It's good for now.

I have done this to many 10.25 axles and is a good strong alternative to the stock 2 pinion carrier. Plus the plates are easy to find, and in most cases ive renewed them by just cleaning/ sandblasting.
And yeah diss assembly and assembly is like 1000 times easier.

eacars

Reaction score
I have done this to many 10.25 axles and is a good strong alternative to the stock 2 pinion carrier. Plus the plates are easy to find, and in most cases ive renewed them by just cleaning/ sandblasting.
And yeah diss assembly and assembly is like 1000 times easier.

I wish I'd sandblasted my discs before reassembling them. Oh well, I did clean them real good. They actually didn't look that bad. They had a fairly easy life since I bought the truck new. I hardly need posi except for occasional mud and snow. It seems to be working good for now.

Thanks for confirming the 10.5 install . Least I know I can do that if needed in the future.