help cracking codes

lastbugle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 92 Ford 7.3 started having transmission problems so I went to the tranny man and he hooked up his problem salver and it said.

Code # 14 profile ignition pickup erratic
&
Code # 23 tp/fipl switch sensor out of range.

I guess there was some other things, but he said these two problems had to be fixed first because they might be whats making the tranny not right.

So please any help and as always thank you

sootman73

Reaction score
HERE is everything you need to know about the #23 code and how to fix it.( i would just start with a new one cuz they are only like $20)

i'm only guessing but the other sounds like a tach pickup issue.:dunno

the tranny guy couldn't tell you what they are? If he couldn't or wouldn't i would prob find a new one....:backoff

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Throttle position sensor bad on the side of the IP (#23)
I think that your #14 is the tach pickup, so does your tach work?

lastbugle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Throttle position sensor bad on the side of the IP (#23)
I think that your #14 is the tach pickup, so does your tach work?

Yes the tach is working.

And I just priced the throttle sensor price of $55.00 the above thought $20.
Im woundering if im talking the right part??

lastbugle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I just put in a new tp sensor and the transmission is still bad.
problems on tranny are the overdrive light on shifter is blinking and it shifts very hard and early out of low.

so this #14 tack could it not be working even though the dash tack. works

sootman73

Reaction score
did you adjust the FIPL? You can't just put it on and run. gotta be set to the correct voltage. its really not that hard.....

and disconnect the batteries for 45min to an hour so the computer resets the codes. without disconnecting the battery the codes will take a week of driving to reset.

a good trans guy should be able to tell you more than just codes. mine can tell me a bunch of stuff. gotta have the right scanner.

lastbugle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did you adjust the FIPL? You can't just put it on and run. gotta be set to the correct voltage. its really not that hard.....

and disconnect the batteries for 45min to an hour so the computer resets the codes. without disconnecting the battery the codes will take a week of driving to reset.

a good trans guy should be able to tell you more than just codes. mine can tell me a bunch of stuff. gotta have the right scanner.

Yes I did check the setting no adjustment was nessary.
but I didnt know about the battery. going to do that now. will keep update Thanks

lastbugle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and if that doesn't work there's even more tricks and tips.:slyLOL

Well you make it sound inviting to say next because I'm always eager to learn :D.

But the fact of the matter is I hooked back up the batteries and the first thing I noticed was the overdrive light wasn't blinking took it for a drive and it seemed to be OK!
Thank you all for another job well done this site is the best :hail:hail:hail:hail

now if somebody could help me figure out how to turn off my water in fuel light
and yes I did replace the filter...