Help, big problems get off the water pump!

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys...I am working on the h20 pump replacement, and after I had to call a mobile mechanic to get the fan clutch off, thanks to somebody using an air chisel to install it I thought I was on the right track...Now it looks like the pulley has to come off just to get the pump out. I have no idea how to get the pulley off, or if itdoes indeed have to come off before the pump can be pulled. As of now I am disgusted, frustrated adn seeing no way to finish this job, if anyone can be of some help I'd appreciate it. Its an 86 6.9 diesel if it matters, thanks,
J.D.

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Four bolts on the front of the pulley and it's off. Now you pull the pump

Rick

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you sure its that simple Rick? I pulled the 4 bolts,a dn it didn't want to come off. Maybe it needs a little persuasion??

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The center hole tends to be a fairly tight fit to keep the pulley running straight and true. Gentle persuation with a wide flat pry bar should help. If it doesn't pop off first try, turn the pulley and pry at different spots to work it off.

DieselChemist

Reaction score
Sorry about the bad luck. Once the four bolts are out soak it down with blaster and tap it lightly around the outside. You kind of have to treat it like the rear drum of an old car. Tap it and just keep wiggling it side to side.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At least you don't have to worry about ruinning the old pump. Use heat if you have to.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys...I don't really have a pry bar...what should I use? Can it take a good bit of force without damaging anything. Last question...how does one get the WP itself out? The book suggests tapping it with a rubber face hammer, and I guess a block of wood witha harder hammer would be ok as well, but I mean will it just drop outonce the seal is broken or will it have to be pushed pulled or what. I'm completely ignorant here haha,
J.D.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
It will pretty much just drop out. I generally just grab the snout and push down. Most times, that will bring them loose. Don't go crazy on it, just be gentle!!! :)

82fordtruck

Reaction score
Pull the radiator if you are getting that crazy with it. All above comments are correct.

Do you have a Water Pump yet? PM me if you need one.

DieselChemist

Reaction score
Take a hammer and a peice of wood and tap around the edge of the pulley. It should start to move side to side and then just hand wiggle it off by pushing and pulling side to side

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Please cover the radiator with something like 1/4 inch plywood or cardboard. It sounds like your needing all the protection affordable at this time. All the above answers about getting the pulley free are correct. It is a tight fit. When it goes back together you will see just how tight it is on a clean fit. Remember about the top 2 bolts for proper length. Both the top 2 and bottom 2 need some sealant on them because they enter the timing cover and oil can leak out here over time. It will just cause a nasty black area that always has oil around it. Your on the right path, just post back with any questions. We are here to help because we were where you are and really understand your concerns. Its not scarey just new.....:thumbsup:

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
http://www.samantha.cc/images/Truck/painted/engine5.jpg

Check er out.

yeah, you need to pull the pulley to get those bolts out. As you can see, the pull is only held on with four bolts. It should come right off unless it's rusted or corroded in place or something.

Can you get the bolts out? If so, bang the pulley around a little bit to see if it'll pop off. Just try not to bend it all up.

If you can see in this pic, the pulley is off here...

http://www.samantha.cc/images/Truck/cavitation/cav2/cav21.jpg

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll answer all the questions first. I have a new water pump form Ford with the TSB and correct sized top bolts. I just need to remember which ones were the problem children. The bolts come right out of the pulley no problem. there is a bit of rust on the shaft, but nothing you wouldn't expect from a 21 year old pump...it sure looks like its original! I had planned to use some cardboard in front of the rad before I tried to pull the pump, maybe I need to place that there before I start banging on the pump/pulley. Maybe I'll go with some plywood for added safety. I'll just get a big block of wood and wiggle it, I'll get it, I just wanted to make sure that was the right way...I was always taught don't force...I have learned sometimes you have to...you just need to know when you should and shouldn't and how much. Oh and I was planning on sealing the bolts with some of that permatex RTV and putting some on the block gasket and pump,a nd of course claning up the mating surfaces witha scraper and maybe even some acetone. thanks guys I do appreciate it,
J.D.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I use brake clean for a final washing after scraping. Cheap and easy to use, evaporates very quickly and leaves no residue. I scrape the surface until clean then hose it down. If it is real dirty, you can do the scrape, spray, repeat process.

You'll get it! Better to ask and be safe than break out he BFH and get stupid, which is what you are doing.