Help, big problems get off the water pump!

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I saw that they take 14 ft-lbs. I can tell even the old ones aren't that stuck..Maybe I should break out the torque wrench for teh ones that seal and then go just past snug with the rest? Well I did get the pulley off using gentle pressure...no damage. That's the good news, the bad news is that someone I talked to before I posted here said to reinstall the fan clutch, lock it and that would let me unscrew the opulley. Obviously that didn't work, but now the fan clutch is once again stuck on the shaft. I'm going to look for one of those tools at the auto parts house that graps the pulley shaft and holds it instead of grabbing the bolts. Those loan a tool ones that grab the pulley bolts suck! By comparison anyway. The mobile mech had one of those. Well if I get that thing broken off again, it should be smooth sailing. I just have to remember which bolts go in what hole, since those water pumps have so darn many holes on them, and not even all of them take a bolt until you bolt the accessory brackets on. Thanks for you alls help, if anyone else has any helpful hints I sure would appreciate it.
J.D.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Just keep moving forwards and remember the fan nut is left hand threads. Glad to know you have the pulley off.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so I got the whole works off...the bad news is that the fan clutch is still attached to the water pump shaft. Of course I need to get the fan clutch off so I can put the fan back on and swap over the pulley. Any ideas on what the best method for getting that thing off when its out of the vehicle is? Thanks,
J.D.

Snowdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took a few 2x4's and wedged the pump in between them then drove the front wheel of my truck on them. Worked like a charm. Improvised vise.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
I bet it would have been easier to get the clutch off with the pump still on the engine because then you'd have the pump on something solid. I remember i used a pry bar and wedged it inbetween the bolts of the pulley and let the pry bar rest on the power steering pump or something like that, to hold the shaft from spinning, then i used a giant adjustable wrench to get the clutch off.

If you are down in orlando for whatever reason you can come get my fan clutch wrench i bought off ebay

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, guys, I think i'm going to take the assembly to the machine shop or a local diesel shop. Even if I have to pay them a few bucks it will be worth it, I'm tired of this project. That fan clutch shouldn't need heat, it was taken off on friday, it just will not come off again, either off or on the truck. I spent most of today prepping teh surface. I'm not sure I still got all of that old gasket off of the manifold. Should I worry about getting it perfectly clean or will the sealer and new gasket take up any imperfections? Also the troublesome bolts and the ones covered by the TSB are the two directly under the IP correct? It looks like it is those two along with a long bolt right next to them that goes into the crankcase. Are there three or four that need the permatex on them? Thanks,
J.D.

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
JD, if your clutch is sticking that bad, you should probably consider getting a new one. I removed a water pump from a psd, pump fan and shroud altogether because the clutch was stuck on the pump shaft but could still remove the clutch outside the truck with good (big) pliers and a wrench that fit. Stick your pliers on the impeler or on the pulley (a helper is nice) and wrench off the fan/clutch.
Good Luck
James

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I wondered if that was a sign I need a new one. Last thing I want to do, but while I'm a it, maybe. Any thoughts on the mating surface? Thanks,
J.D.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
I think it's you're call on the mating surface. Basically you want it to be as perfect as you can get it. You really don't want to have to take it all back apart just to fix a leak. I used a little ryobi thingy with the wire wheel on it to get all of mine off. Actually it was a pnematic one, but any electric one would do it. Also a razor blade should do a bit of good. Maybe you're already using that though. Clean is good, cleaner is better.

akoldnav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ended up taking a smoke wrench and cutting the clutch shaft in two, so that I could get the pullys off. I think Ford could have came up with a better way to put the water pump/fan clutch together.

As far as getting the old gasket material off, I used a wire brush on the end of a Mikita hand grinder. You have to brace your arms so that the thing doesn't get away from you and cause some damage.

Good luck in getting her back on the road.

akoldnav

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I recal, the Ford pump comes with a gasket with a sealer printed on it. I'd try to get it as clean as you can.

DieselChemist

Reaction score
Question about the troubleosme WP bolts. I did the water pump a little while ago and have put 500 miles on it. I do not know if I used the right bolts or not? I remeber putting spacers between the WP and two bolts but don't remember bolts coming with it. If the bolts are hitting the IP would I know it or is this a silent problem and how long would the engine go before it broke. I think the WP came from autozone.
Bill

82fordtruck

Reaction score
Agnem - the ford pump does not come with that. I've got a new ford pump still in my garage. It comes with two bolts (top two) and a black gasket.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin