hearing exhaust out the intake

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
now this is not my truck but a truck that i might buy for 300 bucks
but this guy says its a dropped valve and he is saying it runs rough and hears the exhaust coming out the intake by the drivers side head light is this worth 300 its a 83 f250 4spd 4x4 6.9 n/a thanks for all the help i just want this confermed before i drive 45min and 300 bucks to find out ive got a moeny pit

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For 300 bucks, if you have the money and the desire, you might as well grab it and fix it or part it out. Just in parts and scrap metal its worth $300 and you may find that the "dropped valve" is something easier to fix or that it is "just" a dropped valve and a decent head job would make it run right for another 100K or more.

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It could be a worn out valve guide or like when I first got mine and have a loose rocker arm.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think there's a good chance its a bad lifter or loose/broken rocker. But i wouldn't buy it unless you'd still be happy with it if it had indeed dropped a valve. I would, I think the other parts are worth it. But its easy to spend your money.

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
I think there's a good chance its a bad lifter or loose/broken rocker. But i wouldn't buy it unless you'd still be happy with it if it had indeed dropped a valve. I would, I think the other parts are worth it. But its easy to spend your money.

what about a broken rocker bridge
i contacted the guy via e-mail and asked if it was making a hell of a racket wouldnt a dropped valve cause a racket and tear **** up to where it wouldnt run anymore

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When mine had the loose rocker arm it was making almost a popping or thudding back through the intake. The bolt on the rocker arm for the exhaust valve had loosened and the threads weren't great on it when I took it out, like it had almost been cross-threaded at the factory, so I put a new bolt and torqued it down and then checked all the torque on the rest of them and it has been fine every since. I've had the engine apart since then and nothing was damaged by it running loose like that, I just don't think i would run it too hard or too long if that is the case.

But worn valve guides can cause the same symptons especially if it's an intake valve guide it will force pressure back out through the intake because the valve is trying to seat crooked.

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
When mine had the loose rocker arm it was making almost a popping or thudding back through the intake. The bolt on the rocker arm for the exhaust valve had loosened and the threads weren't great on it when I took it out, like it had almost been cross-threaded at the factory, so I put a new bolt and torqued it down and then checked all the torque on the rest of them and it has been fine every since. I've had the engine apart since then and nothing was damaged by it running loose like that, I just don't think i would run it too hard or too long if that is the case.

But worn valve guides can cause the same symptons especially if it's an intake valve guide it will force pressure back out through the intake because the valve is trying to seat crooked.

sounds good to me thanks for your help

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Got to hate when that happens! Man Ive been there. You get all excited about something new then they sell to someone else.

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
Got to hate when that happens! Man Ive been there. You get all excited about something new then they sell to someone else.

thanks man very dissapointing oh well i hope it might of went to somebody who might end up on here asking questions on here to help him fix the thing :thumbsup:

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So thats why my ride is so crappy, someone give me 3000 pounds i can drive around with so smooth out my ride.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel