Headgaskets.

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard fel pro Is the best and that's what's my truck is getting too.
I would rebuild it. But it works fine and I need this truck back on the road.
Not looking forward to pulling the head.....

trapper

Boom Boom
Reaction score
i heard somewhere you can take out the black box with the blower fan in it and it will give you more room to install the studs, and those heads to me feel like they bout 20 pounds haha

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
i heard somewhere you can take out the black box with the blower fan in it and it will give you more room to install the studs, and those heads to me feel like they bout 20 pounds haha

Undo about 6 5/16 hex screws and the part of that box closest to the head will come out. Had to do this to remove pushrods, definitely gives you more room;Sweet

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
So where are these hypermax head gaskets that I've heard of. Supposedly, from a post I read on this form a while back, hypermax makes a head gasket for our trucks that is much like the Cometic Phuzions, that have an Oring that you insert in them. Well I sure can't find them listed anywhere.

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So where are these hypermax head gaskets that I've heard of. Supposedly, from a post I read on this form a while back, hypermax makes a head gasket for our trucks that is much like the Cometic Phuzions, that have an Oring that you insert in them. Well I sure can't find them listed anywhere.

I dint even think about there gaskets.sending them a email now:D
Wernt they runing like 100psi of boost with those gaskets and stock headbolts?

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I figure hell if Hypermax is already making that type of head gasket for these rigs then why waste my time trying to get cometic to make them.
I heard hypermax's IDI ran 900hp with them of something stupid like that. I can't find the thread where people were talking about that truck though.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I figure hell if Hypermax is already making that type of head gasket for these rigs then why waste my time trying to get cometic to make them.
I heard hypermax's IDI ran 900hp with them of something stupid like that. I can't find the thread where people were talking about that truck though.

Hypermax makes a "dynamic" headgasket for these IDI with "C"-rings. The deck of the block must be machined to accept the C-rings. The open portion of the C faces the cylinder and cylinder pressure expands the C against the block and the head preventing leaks. They have these gaskets/C-rings for the IDI's, PSD's (7.3 and 6.0), IH DT's, and JD's as well.

Expect to pay about $800-1000 for a set. Plus, there is the cost of the machine work.

Heath

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Honestly, to me thats a drop in the bucket when you consider how many times I've blown up my engine due to faulty head gaskets and other shotty "professional" work. My time is worth money too, and when it comes down to almost $200/day for weekends, I'd rather work and earn money. So if I can make this a "one last time" sort of a deal then I'm gonna spend the extra bucks to do it. But honestly if the gaskets are $1000 and you still have to machine the block, why not just have the block oringed and forget about the gaskets.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But honestly if the gaskets are $1000 and you still have to machine the block, why not just have the block oringed and forget about the gaskets.

That's what the kit is. The C-rings are not part of the gasket. The rings go in the machined groove in the block, then the headgasket goes on.

Heath

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are some photos of Eric's IDI build using the Hypermax gaskets and C-rings.

You must be registered for see images

HERE IS A LINK to the entire album.

Heath

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
That guy deserves some credit there, I mean his build is more impressive than NMB2's ever thought of being IMHO. But thats just me.
Anyway those gaskets that Eric used in that engine were the last of its kind in existence. I just got off the phone with hypermax's engineer and he said they honestly had no intention of making any more of them because they cost $1000 and no one seemed to be interested in putting $1000 into an IDI. He said they were amazed when Eric bought that set from them because they had been there on the shelf since the late 80's.
Anyway after an hour of talking with this engineer at hypermax I convinced him there is a market for these gaskets out there, and with modern manufacturing technology we think the price might decrease for them (but we'll have to see what he can come up with). He has a lead on a gasket manufacturer that he thinks will make the gaskets, theres gonna be a little re engineering with them to bring them up to par with modern manufacturing techniques and materials. I stuck my neck out and said I'd be the guinea pig if they will make them, and I could off the top of my head name 15 people that have stated they want a gasket like this. The engineer stated those gaskets were meant to easily hold 100psi of boost and they actually built an IDI back in the day with those gaskets that did just that. I think these are the ticket. The only way we could make these better is if I could get them to try the hydrogen gas filled orings that dont require machine work, like Cometic is using with their phuzions. But we have to wait until after the new year to hear anything back from them.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That guy deserves some credit there, I mean his build is more impressive than NMB2's ever thought of being IMHO. But thats just me.
Anyway those gaskets that Eric used in that engine were the last of its kind in existence. I just got off the phone with hypermax's engineer and he said they honestly had no intention of making any more of them because they cost $1000 and no one seemed to be interested in putting $1000 into an IDI. He said they were amazed when Eric bought that set from them because they had been there on the shelf since the late 80's.
Anyway after an hour of talking with this engineer at hypermax I convinced him there is a market for these gaskets out there, and with modern manufacturing technology we think the price might decrease for them (but we'll have to see what he can come up with). He has a lead on a gasket manufacturer that he thinks will make the gaskets, theres gonna be a little re engineering with them to bring them up to par with modern manufacturing techniques and materials. I stuck my neck out and said I'd be the guinea pig if they will make them, and I could off the top of my head name 15 people that have stated they want a gasket like this. The engineer stated those gaskets were meant to easily hold 100psi of boost and they actually built an IDI back in the day with those gaskets that did just that. I think these are the ticket. The only way we could make these better is if I could get them to try the hydrogen gas filled orings that dont require machine work, like Cometic is using with their phuzions. But we have to wait until after the new year to hear anything back from them.

Sean, I didn't know that set was the last of the last. I'm glad they are willing to try and get that part available once again. I'm certainly going to use their gasket and C-rings on my DT466. I've got a buddy that tractor pulls a heavily mod'ed DT466 with 3 turbo's and close to 200psi of boost. He uses Hypermax's gasket and rings and swears they are worth every penny. He says, but it sounds too good to be true, that the gasket and rings are reusable. Meaning, he's used the same headgasket and C-rings for several seasons and mulitple tear-downs/rebuilds.

Heath

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online