Head gasket parts list

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
There is a "newer" style of rear main seal for our engines. This style comes with a plastic sleeve to help with installation and it says DO NOT LUBRICATE SEAL. The original style, didn't have the sleeve and you put a little lube on the seal before installation. Either style fits all years of the 6.9/7.3. Maybe that's what they meant by saying that the rear seal may different.

03wr250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that was exactly my question. is there a difference in rear main seals over the years, and how do I tell?
and my second question was would money be better spent buying the lower gasket kit, or buying just the rear main. I figure that it is always nicer to have more gaskets, especially for less money... thoughts?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As long as you get quality gaskets and seals along with the sleeve you need, I’d go with the lower kit

03wr250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
being as the kit is oem, i would assume quality components... hope i dont eat those words.
What sleeve?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a "newer" style of rear main seal for our engines. This style comes with a plastic sleeve to help with installation and it says DO NOT LUBRICATE SEAL. The original style, didn't have the sleeve and you put a little lube on the seal before installation. Either style fits all years of the 6.9/7.3. Maybe that's what they meant by saying that the rear seal may different.
This

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
As far as I know, all of the OEM rear seals were the same as the "lube" style. The "no lube" style is aftermarket. They both came in the Fel-Pro gasket sets that we used to buy in the shop I used to work at. I think both styles may still be available. Either one is good. I have no idea why the "no lube" style came out. I, personally, haven't seen it used on any other application. I wouldn't worry about which style you use as long as it's installed properly. Either style will fit ANY 6.9 or 7.3 engine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online