Head gasket oil cooler! Need help

Fordfarmer123

Reaction score
So last year I pulled my motor to do a oil pan I accidentally loosened 4 head bolts realizing what I did I tighten them back down to the torqe setting. I also did my oil cooler o rings. I put the motor back in the truck and after running it for a while I got coolant in my oil. No oil in my radiator. I was wondering if this is a cavitation issue head gasket or oil cooler. I did test each cylinder for compression and they all had great compression! Can you have cavitation and good compression? I’m in the process of pulling this motor again anything I should replace or inspect while it’s out ? Thanks

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Can you have cavitation and good compression?
Yes you can. The pin hole in the cylinder wall can be (and usually is) low enough hat the rings will go above it before the piston starts to move back down. The pin hole will be small enough that it would still build good compression even if it's high enough that the rings don't cover it. It would probably take longer for the compression to leak out through the hole than it would to go by the rings after you stop turning the engine over. Cavitation is a worst case scenario. I'd lean towards a head gasket failure first. I'm not ruling the cavitation out, just saying that I'd look in a different place first. This shouldn't be an oil cooler issue. There's more oil pressure than there is pressure in your cooling system so the oil would go past an o-ring first. Either cavitation or a head gasket could cause there to be coolant in the oil but not the other way around.

Alwaysreadyrob

2002 7.3 POWERSTROKE 4x4
Reaction score
If your coolant is constantly running low..... where is it going if it is not going in the oil ?
And you have good compression and pressure testing of the radiator holds constant pressure over 2-3 minutes ?