Head Gasket, aviation gasket eliminator?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
There's lots of coatings available. Like molybdenum.
I know which one you're thinking of, just can't name it. I thought it was mylomar, but a Google search proved that wrong.

But that's a good question. Even if it were just a normal headgasket coated on both sides. I just wander if the clamping load would crack the coating.

Hmmm. I guess we'll see.

Dave 001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok.....I'll start a new round... what would happen if you coated that mylopar(?) stuff BETWEEN two head gaskets (to reduce c/r) and bolted it together with studs... leak or not?.

Are metal shims available for use when you deck an IDI too much? Using that on an un-decked engine would lower compression ratio.

Dave 001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The biggest reason the idi does not have a fire ring or o ringed head is the precup chamber..

The IDI does have a fire ring. Practically all engines do. The metal ring around the cylinder "hole" in the head gasket....that is the fire ring. Its purpose is to protect the edge of the gasket from the ignition flame front (a.k.a. fire). Otherwise the flame front would eat away at the edge of the gasket and the gasket would blow out in short order. The fire ring is also a little thicker than the rest of the head gasket thus making increased clamping pressure at that critical area.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok.....I'll start a new round... what would happen if you coated that mylopar(?) stuff BETWEEN two head gaskets (to reduce c/r) and bolted it together with studs... leak or not?.

If you are referring to HYLOMAR (spelling) as I said, metal to metal with the correct finnish would seal, so this would too in THEORY....the biggest problem with this theory....is

SQUIRM from heat cycles, combustion, any movement etc.

You are going to have issues with the HEAD squirming on it's block surface ever as minute as it is, this does occur from the above mentioned issues.

That will cause eventual failure of sealing be it coolant passages, oil passages, head bolts expansion/contraction...etc

IMHO this is not a viable option...

That being said, solid copper gaskets have been used in racing for many years, though those engines are a strict use...assemble/tear down frequently etc.

Lets just agree that this could work...in principle....

Lets just agree...IT IS NOT A GREAT IDEA....in principle....

Just sayin

Al

turbo elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't remember my head gaskets having a fire ring,but I my be wrong...I thought that the idi's had H/G's that were formed from a singe sheet of steel... My question is.... if you were to "glue" two or more gaskets together would they hold or blow out real fast.
And I thought they were to be installed clean and dry.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't remember my head gaskets having a fire ring,but I my be wrong...I thought that the idi's had H/G's that were formed from a singe sheet of steel... My question is.... if you were to "glue" two or more gaskets together would they hold or blow out real fast.
And I thought they were to be installed clean and dry.

I think the idi head gaskets are some kind of "layered" metal material. And no, you would not be able to combine 2 head gaskets to form one thick head gasket. And yes, they should be installed clean and dry but some prefer to use that copper spray (hylomer). I have never used the product. Some like it and some don't.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
As posted above.. Two head gaskets sandwished together will blow out fast. But you can try it anyway. The issue is when will it blow and where will you be when it lets go. Replacing a head gasket when the engine is still in the truck is tuff.
As fir a fire ring.. Yes.. All 6.9 and 7.3 head gaskets have a fire ring built into them. The felpro head gaskets I use have a metal layer sandwished between a grafite type gasket material for lack of a better term. Its soft and bites into the head and block surfaces. Installing head gaskets on our enginesclean and dry is very important. the final cleaning must be down with something like brakeclean. No dry residue can be on the surfaces. Spray Hilomar is a great tap for the gaskets. So far it has proven to work very well on several engines. It works on the Rolls Royce jet engines so its got to be a quality compound. Had i know of it when I rebuilt my engines I would have used it. I like the added insurance of no leaks. so far the felpro gaskets are holding fine. Note to all doing a rebuild... Never ever use a rubber or cork oil pan gasket... they are made but not needed ever. The facory used rtv and that never leaked. So how can an added gasket do any better.. It really can't. Most everyone that has used the pan gasket because it came in the gasket kit has had a leaker. Once it starts its going to be an engine removel to repair it..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrannonB

Members online