Head bolt question?

IDIJunkie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would any one happen to know what the head bolt size and thread on the 1st gen powerstroke are? The reason I ask is that a guy told me that head studs for a powerstroke will work on a 7.3 IDI? Has any one heard of this or know weather or not it will work?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
That would be 1/2x13 threads in the block for both motors. As for the psd being able to fit our motors is something I can't answer. The ARP studs we use are 7 inches long and they are about 3/8th inch too long for our motors but they do fit. Its just the top fine threads stick out past the nut a little too far. They don't interfere with anything but the inside of the deep socket you use to torque them down with.The ARP part number for the studs is AR7.000-1lb. The nuts ARN12-1 and the washers ARW78N....

IDIJunkie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! At least I know is might be possible. I am going to try to talk with the guy tomorrow and see what he has to say. BTW how much did you pay for the studs?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have my invoice right here in front of me,530.00 before discount. If you get the six point nuts they are a lot cheaper.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Just the studs are what I bought from ARP and they cost $8.45 each. I already had bought the nuts and washers a year earlier. Thats $287.30... Less a discount of $43.10... Plus $8.61 for freight... No tax :dunno... Total out of pocket was $252.81. This was on 01-29008. My reason for this tax free and discount is way beyond me. I really have no idea why it went this way.. Not complaining or anything like that. I just like to know whats going on... Because I live about 85 miles from ARP I drove up there to get 6 replacement studs and nuts. Even using their Moly lube 6 studs gauled and I couldn't get them apart when I was doing the 5 tightening and loosening as per the specs. They had no idea either. I did get to talk with 2 of there engineers in detail about what they can do for us. They have a propriatary material that can withstand around 330,000 psi but it has some side effects. First just the moisture and oils on your hands will cause it to break and if you dropped one it would shatter...:eek::dunno I have no idea how that would work in an aplication of repeated expansion and comtractions in a diesel motor let alone any other motor.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
^^^
Dude, now you got me scared! Your story about galling up the studs even with their lube, that has me nervous about doing mine now. Because with my luck I'll gall them all up, which I dont have money for.

Brandon, I got my 6.9 ARP studs from headbolts.com
They were $226 for everything, nuts, washers and studs. Only thing they didnt come with was the lube, and I didnt see it on their website at all.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Nobody has the bad luck that I have... Thats just a given here... My ruined studs had to do with me and not the quality of the ARP product. Thay put plenty of engineering into what they sell and don't want any bad press. Use what the call for lube because the differance in torque numbers is 100 lbs with their lube.... Or 130 lbs with 30 wt oil. You do the numbers. For me to torque and loosen them 6 times(I do things a little overboard) at 130 lbs was just not going to happen. Keep the threads clean and go easy at it. I used a cracked head and an old once torqued haed gasket that had never seen run time. You can make up some spacers the thickness of the heads and do it that way. Just use some washers on the heads to spread out the torque some.:D

IDIJunkie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found out that the powerstroke studs won't fit. Here is what ARP said in their email.

The studs in that kit # are 12mm x 1.75 pitch. Eight of those studs are 6.625” long from end to end and twenty-eight of them are 6.850” long from end to end.

Gary it looks like I will be using those part numbers you gave me. Anything else that is needed?

IDIJunkie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Russ do you have the part numbers for the 6 point nuts, or are the 12 point nuts better?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No difference in strength, just socket clearance, there was plenty of room it looked like for the hex nuts.
200-8607 hex bulk number 97c.ea
300-8306 12 pnt $6.36 each

IDIJunkie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Russ do you have the 7 digit part numbers for the studs and washers? The numbers that Gary wrote I couldn't find anything in the ARP catalog.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
200-8514 washer
AR7.000-1LB stud, this number wont be in the catalog it is a bulk stud.