Hauling a little gravel.

DesertBen44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That reminds me of a time I loaded my 83 half ton chevy with 2 tons of bricks, except your ford seems to be handling it a lot better. Mine looked like a Prerunner. You need some air bag spring helpers! :sly

Clayton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you load it yourself? You would never get a loader operator at one of the quarrys around here to put that much on a pickup. The most they ever put on a pickup around here is 2000 lbs. They may put more on a dually. Get in a wreck or break your pickup and guess who the first would be to get the blame; The guy who loaded you.

They loaded me, I told him when to stop.

chevytaHOE5674

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I regularly haul 3/4-1 cord of green split firewood stacked in my pickup. That's anywhere from 4000-5000 lbs stacked in the bed. Never been an issue, just pump the tires to their max rating and roll on home. I often think of going to a flatbed with tall sides and then add some airbags so I can carry more home in each trip.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sw1tchfoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All of the guys that go around pulling trucks bigger than the ones they are driving pose more of a risk than some guy hauling gravel for a couple of miles..

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Nope, But that is one of many things on my to do list.
forget about getting the overload springs and just go with bags.

I regularly haul 3/4-1 cord of green split firewood stacked in my pickup. That's anywhere from 4000-5000 lbs stacked in the bed. Never been an issue, just pump the tires to their max rating and roll on home. I often think of going to a flatbed with tall sides and then add some airbags so I can carry more home in each trip.

could have hauled more if you had made sideboards for the box.

Clayton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed the picture makes the front end look much higher than it actually was, I think it was because I parked pointing uphill. I kinda expect some to frown upon this but I'm not your average idiot and I knew the risks before I even left the house. I drove with common sense and made it home without a single problem. I'd do it again if I had too.

Clayton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All of the guys that go around pulling trucks bigger than the ones they are driving pose more of a risk than some guy hauling gravel for a couple of miles..

Exactly, I see all kinds of things around here that are way dumber. Like a guy I saw the other day driving a first gen s10 with a 2 ft diameter and around 10 foot long oak log in the bed, The back of the log was hitting the pavement and the whole truck was bowing up over bumps. Th only thing keeping it from raring up was the log hitting the ground.

Clayton

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Looks good man. I haul firewood as well. I stack front to back just like you do I usually get around 3/4 of a cord in the bed. I like how you used those pieces to support the stack.