Has anyone ever SOLVED a white smoke problem

carwhisperer

Reaction score
I have read many threads on excessive white smoke on this forum and others, but haven't found one where the problem was actually solved.

I have a 1985 E350 6.9. I took it on a 1000 mile trip over the summer and it ran great and got 13mpg. A couple weeks after that I was going to take it on another shorter trip. While leaving town on a hot day it began to lose power, almost to the point that it wouldn't move. According to the temp gauge it never overheated. Just a little past half way which it had done on the big trip as well. I had it towed home. I searched for a fuel/water separator and found that it had been removed.

I changed the fuel filter and found a lot of rust in the old one. After the new filter it starts very easily but blows billowing clouds of white smoke. Like crazy amounts, even at idle. It also runs rough.

I tried cracking the back 4 injectors, each of which made the idle even worse, but none of which affected the amount of smoke. I tried running some fresh diesel straight from a can to the fuel filter, trying to diagnose whether I had water in either or both tanks, but that made no difference in the amount of smoke. I do see one possible leak on one of the return lines.

I also tried a couple of quarts of Power Service diesel treatment.

I haven't yet checked to see if it is using coolant or if the catch tank or radiator are bubbling when it is running. I don't keep it where I live so it might be a few days before I can do that.

Looking for ideas!

Last edited:

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
You only cracked 4 injectors? That's like only checking 2 tires.
You're forgetting one of the biggest contributors to smoke: timing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i used to have a white smoke problem with chip truck,shortly after i bought it.i cured the white smoke issue i had with a fresh set of injectors.along with my white smoke issue,i had a very rich smell so it was easy to diagnose.

carwhisperer

Reaction score
You only cracked 4 injectors? That's like only checking 2 tires.
You're forgetting one of the biggest contributors to smoke: timing.

The front four are harder to get to on a van. But I can do that if you think it will help. I did think about timing but what would cause it to get out of time that much? I suppose if I can rock the IP then I'll know the bolt(s) came loose.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you had that much crap in the filter, you may have crap in one or more injectors causing them to dribble giving you the white smoke. White smoke is usually unburned fuel for one reason or another.

carwhisperer

Reaction score
i used to have a white smoke problem with chip truck,shortly after i bought it.i cured the white smoke issue i had with a fresh set of injectors.along with my white smoke issue,i had a very rich smell so it was easy to diagnose.

I was thinking injectors are the most likely cause. As stated above I'll need to check the other 4. After I check the coolant issue and timing, I guess I should throw a set of injectors at it.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if its bellowing mass quantitys of white smoke, the very first thing i would do is text your cooling system with a pressure tester.

i cured my huge amounts of white smoke with a set of non cracked heads.

carwhisperer

Reaction score
if its bellowing mass quantities of white smoke, the very first thing i would do is text your cooling system with a pressure tester.

i cured my huge amounts of white smoke with a set of non cracked heads.

That made me sad. But it also made me chuckle.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
First off welcome to the forum. Now can you tell us how many miles are on the injectors and injection pump? Figure around 125,000 to 150,000 miles and they are worn out.
You posted the fuel filter had rust in it and something was bypassed. Finding out where the rust cam e from is the big deal here. then installing a fuel filter water separator that works. Then sadly I suggest you replace the injection pump and injectors. Once rust gets past the filter it ruins the injection pump and injectors. How long have you had this van.

carwhisperer

Reaction score
It is a low mileage camper van. It show 85000. I was told these are original and I believe it based on the perfect condition of the seats and for other reasons. I have owned it for about a year. I do have a used IP of unknown condition I can try. I think it is a 7.3 pump. Will it work/is it advisable on a 6.9?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
It will work, but for the work it'll take getting it in, you might as well pony up for a good one.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That made me sad. But it also made me chuckle.

it may very well be your IP and injectors.
but testing your cooling system is cheap, and if it is something catastrophic, you can stop now without throwing parts at it hoping to cure the issue.

mbolton1990

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can get to 6 of the 8 injectors through the doghouse, for the front 2 you can access through the engine bay.. The driver side one is fairly easy to crack but the passenger side one may require unbolting the alternator and swinging it down to get room or removing it entirely.. Either way not terribly bad, and can be done fairly quickly. That sounds like a real gem of a van. When I first got my '86 E350 it just simply needed to be run,it sat up for a year or two but after a 'Italian tune-up' and some diesel Kleen she's happy as can be.. Original IP at 164k seems fine, I carry a reman spare just in case.

Last edited:

Slow

Reaction score
Still working on my white smoke issue. It can be a slow process but I've been following the recommendations and info here on the forum and I'm slowly but shurely getting to closer to fixing my white smoke. Started with cleaning the tanks/fixing the pickups, replacing the lift pump, replacing the filter, replacing the return lines and caps. routing the returns per the preferred routing suggested by Conestoga Diesel and pressure testing the coolant system (you may want to do this a little earlier in the process). I'm at 68K and battling a bad case "lot rot" along with trying to fix the problem. You may have similar issues based on the lack of miles.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online