Hard knocking sound diagnosis. (vid)

Christian9112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Give it to me straight doc. do I have to put her down?
7.3 idi 1994 ambulance.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

not sure if its normal or not. it drives ok. shifts normally. it did that thing once where the starter did not engage the flywheel. it also had coolant inside the access cover when i opened it

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does not sound good. Try loosening an injector line at a time while it’s running and see if the sound changes.

Christian9112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it sounds like a tick more than a knock. the sound disappears sometimes.

Christian9112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the exhaust is almost smokeless. Might be an advance tick? the sound is more noticeable at the bottom rear of the engine. I might be hearing the exhaust or the transmission clunking

Christian9112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the guy that sold it to me said that he lost a belt before. Could that have broken the flex plate? I'm a little intimidated of removing a tranny. the flexplate does not have any play if I try to wiggle it from the access port. Not sure if that is a proper test for it. The teeth looks like its has normal wear.
if it is the flex plate, how long could I drive it for?

Christian9112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what parts would I need to change a flexplate? Is it just the literal flexplate? No gaskets? maybe just a tranny jack? this e350 has me feeling like im training for the contortionist section of the Olympics.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a flexplate if you dont decide to do other things while youre in there like rear main seal.

Christian9112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
awesome! I might need to replace a freeze plug since I saw coolant on the cover plate. Can I just tap the hole and plug it?

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
awesome! I might need to replace a freeze plug since I saw coolant on the cover plate. Can I just tap the hole and plug it?

No. There needs to be the freeze plug. They are there to pop if the coolant ever freezes so it doesn't crack your block.

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do not have either. There was a thread here a few months ago talking about them. Might try a search for freeze plug.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
can you take some pics that are better focused where the rusty streaks are radiating outwards from the mounting holes? the rusty streaks are the indicators of where a crack has formed. centrifugal force gets the stuff to radiate outwards, so follow to where it starts. if the fuzzy pics look right, you have cracked through in one part but the end is very near.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance