Hard knocking sound diagnosis. (vid)

Christian9112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the spacer was placed on the wrong side of the flexplate, thats why it was making a loud noise. like 20% sure the torque converter was hitting the flexplate wrong or something and making a sound like that. There is definitely a leak somewhere tho.

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the spacer was placed on the wrong side of the flexplate, thats why it was making a loud noise. like 20% sure the torque converter was hitting the flexplate wrong or something and making a sound like that. There is definitely a leak somewhere tho.

The spacer was on the right side according to your pics before you pulled it. Did your bolts have sealer on them when you pulled them out? Looks like the may have been leaking. They have to have sealer on them because the holes go all the way through the crank and are open to the oil pan. How did the rear main look?

Tap the center with a hammer, if it makes a hollow sound and not a thump it's cracked.

Christian9112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They have to have sealer on them because the holes go all the way through the crank and are open to the oil pan. How did the rear main look?

Tap the center with a hammer, if it makes a hollow sound and not a thump it's cracked.

Im not really sure what a sealer would look like. I did replace the flex plate and the sound is still there.
What else could be cracked?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Christian9112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think im just gonna assume that this is what a 7.3 idi sounds like and call it good to help me sleep at night

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i just re listened to both videos. from what I hear, the sound is different now. the sharp tap tap tap you hear under the vehicle is gone. the clack clack is the sound of a diesel.
keep in mind you hear it differently in person. all we can hear is whay youtube plays back.

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im not really sure what a sealer would look like. I did replace the flex plate and the sound is still there.
What else could be cracked?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Rubber or silicone like substance that would be in the threads especially where the threads didn't make contact with the crank if they coated them heavy. I hope you put some on them when you installed the flex plate or your guaranteed to have a leak there....

Christian9112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ... unfortunately did not. It didnt have any in there before either. I did put some thread locker on there. The lipstick style thread locker that you wipe on the threads. I think it would keep it sealed.