hard clutch pedal...

Chuckdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I got my truck and it is really awesome. I have some questions about it but most importantly my clutch pedal is really hard. I compared it to my buddys (JR) and it is really different. It seems like if it was a bleeding issue it would be soft. Also it has pretty much been sitting for 3 years so working the bugs out should be fun. So far so good though.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like your throwout bearing's dry. It can be greased without removing the tranny, but it's not easy nor fun. If you pull the slave cylinder and the clutch fork, you can reach in the hole and access the throwout bearing. Then, just pack as much grease into and around it as possible (the bearing and the shaft it's riding on).

If you're keeping the T-19, you can get a throwout bearing that has a hose on it, going to a bulkhead fitting (you'll need to drill a hole in the bellhousing for the bulkhead fitting) and a zerk fitting, so you can regrease the bearing whenever you grease the rest of the truck. IMHO it's a worthwhile addition.

You might also have a cracked firewall and/or clutch pedal bushing issues. There's been quite a bit of discussion on both issues, and both are repairable.

I would get this fixed ASAP. Hard pedal effort can lead to a cracked firewall if it isn't already. You could also be putting abnormal strain on the clutch hydraulic system, leading to failed parts there (and dealing with the clutch hydraulics is something you do NOT want to do if you can get away with it).

Hope this helps some...good luck!

Exekiel69

Reaction score
What if You just put the grease on the shaft? When You press the pedal the next time the fork will push the bearing and it wil catch all the grease You left on the shaft right?

Chuckdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey thanks for the imput, I'll grease that thing next weekend. Just to add to the clutch problem info, its not only hard but when it goes in and out theres a slight pulsating feeling like when your breaks have air in the line, and the truck is off. The tranny also has loud gear whine and I put my ear on the stick while my buddy was driving it sounded like there were angry monsters growling at me. I hpoe the tranny will last till i can afford to do a 5 speed swap.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What if You just put the grease on the shaft? When You press the pedal the next time the fork will push the bearing and it wil catch all the grease You left on the shaft right?

I don't think you're going to be able to get at anything IN FRONT of the bearing with the fork in place. It's prettymuch going to sit up against the pressure plate. I believe you need to take the fork out so you can slide the bearing back and apply your lube.

M

maxdiesel

also don't forget to check the plastic swing pedal assembly bushings

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Several things to consider here. First off, if this is a new to you truck, take a look at the slave cylinder. See if it still has the plastic restraining strap intact between the slave push rod and the clutch fork. If so, you're lucky. You can pull the fork towards the slave and use the restraining strap to hold the push rod in. This is a big plus because A) - you won't have to hurt your hand, and B) - you won't have to bleed the slave. If you don't have the restraining strap, you will have to dismount the slave cylinder from the bell housing, which is done easily with a big screw driver prying in just the right spots. You'll see how the clip that holds it on is designed, and how to get it off. Once the slave is off, or the push rod restrained, you can remove the boot and just yank the clutch fork out. Buy a new one from Ford, and throw that one away. Get a new pivot ball while your at it. These are wear items and yours probably should be replaced so that you can establish that you don't have worn parts. Now with the fork and ball out, you can easy put your hand in there. Take a rag with some solvent on it, and clean the shaft that the throw out bearing slides on. This is the tranny input sleeve, and if the TOB has been misbehaving, it may have groves cut in it, or metal shaved off. If this is the case, the input sleeve will need to be replaced. Once you get all the old grease off and it's clean, slather it up with new wheel bearing grease, and reassemble everything using new parts. Once you've done this, the clutch will push real easy. Of course you may have to bleed the slave, and look into the cracked firewall issue depending on your circumstances.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online