Had to downshift all the way to first pulling the 5th wheel

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it bad to take off in 4lo and when you top out 4th to bang back into high range and take off in 1st? I get a little grinding from the t-case, but nothing violent...

I use low range all of the time backing up trailers and moving around with the engine cold -

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
I had an 86 Isuzu little pickup that I could go to third in low range and then shift the t case manually to hi range and shift to first. Worked pretty good for that but I was young and dumb and just about rearended someone pulling more than I should.

I'll post some better camera pictures later once things settle down. Mt St Helens is completely covered in snow right now where as later in the year it will have rocky spots.

But uuuuh, yeah. All things considered I'm looking forward to it. Got a couple good neighbors up there and the one guy ended up there in strangely similiar circumstances so we made an instant connection.

To be honest, the whole 2200 sq ft home and 1/4 acre of yard and the dog and two cats etc just isn't my thing I don't think. One of Grandpas spent his whole life working on his yard and had a stroke and two weeks later it looked neglected.

And Darrin, I doubt you'll be in the hood, but if so you're welcome to come by. Same with Russ or whoever. Hell you should fly out and buy my red truck and drive it home and park it next to Big Ed.;Sweet

Now that I got my 5ver parked I could sell it instead of the 93 and not have to scramble a hitch into it. This is driving me nuts. (reminds me of a pirate joke) My son and I change our minds on which one to sell every other day.

Well, I gotta go out AGAIN and try and figure out where the air is intruding the fuel system in the 93, loses prime every night.:mad:

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
It's by Lake Merwin. You were local right Fordguy100 so you might be familiar with the campground.

I've been agonizing on which truck to sell so I put them both on CL yesterday.

I guess I'll let the world decide for me.:dunno

I meant to put an ad here so burners could have first chance but I'm trying to do a million things at once here and I figure it always gets here anyway.

Definately a discount for burners. Sure would at least like to continue seeing which ever one goes on here.;Sweet

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
It's nice, does have it's good and bad points. My spot has the view so that makes it nice.

Basically for $950 a year I can stay for something like 280 days of the year and have electricity water garbage and parking all paid for.

So I think I'll be spending the summer there and then I need to find me a 25 year old sugga momma with a perfect body and a nice house near my kids.:sly

That's not asking too much is it.:D

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
Nice photos!

Your not the only one who had o use 1st gear to pull a hill!

Couple summers ago, in my motorhome, in the Rockies of Montana and Wyoming at 8000+ ft, one hill, I was in 1st gear, doing 20-25mph screamin on the governor for over 5 min non stop. People behind me were pissed, no passing lane all the way up! Fan clutch locked in, real temp gauge showing 210* and it stayed at that all the way up. No pyro....

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
I would keep the CC. It seems like you've put some nice work into it to get a truck that is personal to you. Keep it, sell the 93, and save some dough to freshen up your fuel system(via Mel) and slap and IC on there :thumbsup:

EDIT: Also, that campground is beautiful.

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
Thanks, yeah I'm looking forward to this summer. Seems like the past four have either been distubed by being laid off or running out of unemployment or something else.:mad:

That's the thing about the CC. It's almost 100% done, my way and works perfect. My son said he wanted to keep that one about three times in a row so I thought we had it figured out and then I asked him this morning and he said he wanted to keep the "new" one which is the 93.LOL

But then I think if I'll be spending some more time running the I-5 it would be nice to have the 3:55 gears of the 93 and some new 35s with a D60 and good clutch. The shorter wheelbase is nicer at times and I picture a shiny Intercooler mounted up in the chrome brush guard of it and wouldn't be suprised to see 22-23 on the freeway.

Oh yeah get this. I filled up the CC today after the trip with the 5th wheel. 165 miles and it popped off at 14 gallons. The guy put in another gallon last time so who knows, different pumps and all but lets say 15 gallons for fun. I've been getting 15 around town and haven't checked with these 32" tires but I got almost 18 with the 35s on the freeway. In any case only about 50 of the miles were with the 5th wheel so if I figure 115 miles mixed empty driving should've used say 7.5 gallons so that leaves 7.5 for the 50 miles which makes it about 7 miles to the gallon pulling the fifth wheel up the freeway and up the hill to 1600-1800 ft but not back down. Pretty rough numbers but come out about right. I got just over 12 pulling a 6000 pound truck with it when it had the 35s for a few hundred miles.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
The CC should get better mpg towing because of the low gearing.

Unless you already have a donor D60 for the 93, wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to swap 3.55's into the CC than put a D60 under the F250?

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
I don't know. I haven't wanted to touch those axles cause they are 150k original unopened axles. The D60 to the F250 is almost all bolt on other than maybe the hole for the track bar in the crossmember. I've never done gears so I guess that seems more daunting.

I go back and forth, can't make up my mind. Most likely I'll be commuting in a car most of the time and the truck will be for trucking which makes the 87 a better keeper.

The 93 would be better for everyday empty driving if I were to get down to one vehicle. The 93 I would have to tow the 5ver in 4th so I would have one less gear to get me up to speed also. The 87 runs about 2200 at 60 which works great for towing and then I can pull highway hills at about 50 in fourth at 24 or 2500. To be honest with you though, I'm not sure that 5th wheel will ever move again anyway.

This is why I put them both up,,,,,,,,,below my handle where it says Recovered N/A it used to say "currently indecisive"cookoo

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
Just realized your first gear is the same ratio as my second plus I have 4:11s. Got ya on this one.;Poke

I was no where near 25 mph.LOL

I figure I was running about 17k lbs with the truck, trailer and gear.:eek: