Gutting the A/C!

John Haggerty

Birth Certificate
Reaction score
Brothers,

I'm going to gut the A/C and make room for the intercooler. I'd like to sell the system after the removal. Besides the visual obvious parts, what might I forget to remove?

Thanks!

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No need to sacrifice the AC unless you're running a HUGE intercooler...

If you must remove it, you may want to swap for a heater box from a non AC truck so you don't have holes in yours when you remove the evaporator. That way, you will also have a complete kit to sell, ready to bolt in and charge. Dont' forget the control knobs on the dash too, if you really want to make the truck look like it never had AC.

Ryan

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
might be interested in the system if your 89 system would fit in my 94. i would trade ya boxes and controls:D

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
might be interested in the system if your 89 system would fit in my 94. i would trade ya boxes and controls:D
I'm pretty sure the controls won't interchange between '87-'91 and '92-'97 trucks. I'm pretty sure it'll swap straight over otherwise, though.

That said, I'm with Ryan...I can't imagine you needing to sacrifice it. Even if you don't really use it, IMHO it's a good idea to have. First, the a/c compressor runs when you're defrosting the windshield, which effectively gives you hot, dried air coming out of the ducts. Second, if you ever want to sell the truck, having a functioning system will increase its value.

JMHO...on the other hand, this is coming from someone who has precisely zero heat tolerance ;)

creighta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Evaporator, condensor, compressor, accumulator...

Basically jut follow the hoses to all the hardware. Don't forget the hoses and the heater core valve.

You may want to keep the pump. We used to have a 78 150 w an A/C pump plumbed to work as an air compressor.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
John, what are you using for an intercooler?

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
i tore the AC out of my IDI and ended up regretting it. even on the north coast it gets hot and very muggy in the summer. seems like you could get an IC that would fit. just my opinhead

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an 04 intercooler in my 91 and it fits fine, just cut some of the back of the grill off and it will fit. Prepare to see higher temps covering that much of the radiator

John Haggerty

Birth Certificate
Reaction score
So I just typed a long response and must have hit one wrong key and lost my reply.

No real reason to add the intercooler other a great deal on e-bay. I'm not going to put any $ into the A/C. I can do without. The truck seems like it's become the snow truck and miscell. stuff.

John Haggerty

Birth Certificate
Reaction score
Reading your response again Mel, I think I understand. I found a new Ford aluminum end cap type that I read is the way to go. Still in Ford box.

BTW, WMRR running thru often and I always stop what I'm doing to enjoy the sight!