Guess I need to empty my pockets a little.

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
Well, I called the manufacturer of the Ranger I bought and got told it will be at my house at the end of July, he explained that there supplier on the drive sleeve fell behind so it's taking much longer than usual, so now i have a lot of time to figure out what I want to do with the truck.

So far my plans are studs, gaskets, oil cooler seals, champion radiator w/ electric fans, typ4 cam, and hopefully a moose blower if mel has them ready by then. I'm thinking about an intercooler, water injection, bull moose ip, moose injectors,dana 60 and fixing my fuel tank issues (front tank mia, rear showerhead woes). Also still tossing the coin on a gear swap, or adding a gearvendors along w/ my ranger.

Any more ideas?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Balance and machine the main bores straight. Otherwise you have it covered well.

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
I can't find anywhere to do a full balance job, and since I don't know how the internals look (sight glass must be dirty), I don't know what needs replacing and what doesn't but do know if 1 of something needs replacing, they're all getting replaced; ie. 1 bad piston=8 new pistons.

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
What are y'all's thoughts on adding gearvendors vs going 3.55:1?
The additional overdrive will give me a final drive of 2.3944:1, and the 3.55's will give me 2.55:1.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well with my gv and 3.55 I have a final drive in double od of 1.96. I can pull it but not going to tell you everyone can pull it with their engines. I will say this. Its interesting to see this for mph and rpm..

Attachments

• DSC00195.jpg
    DSC00195.jpg
    410.2 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC00194.jpg
    DSC00194.jpg
    416 KB · Views: 14

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't want to do both, i have NO need to go upwards of 80, and if I even do that, I like my rpms

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also still tossing the coin on a gear swap, or adding a gearvendors along w/ my ranger.

What are y'all's thoughts on adding gearvendors vs going 3.55:1?
The additional overdrive will give me a final drive of 2.3944:1, and the 3.55's will give me 2.55:1.
Why not just get two Rangers? Just sayin...ifn u di that you could one under one over and have 3:55's and be doing great. LOL

Along with that 12 speed forward 3 reverse! Be like -Drool

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
The under is no longer available, I guess demand deminished. And without a lot of fab work, it would put my handshakers really far back.

swervyjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What trans are you using? With a 4.03 1st t19, the ranger is pretty much just going to be an overdrive. 3rd over is the same as 4th. I'd recommend an np435 or 5.11 1st t19 so you can go 3, 3 over, 4, 4 over. It will split 3rd and 4th nicely.

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm buying a reman 6.32:1 so long as it will ship reasonably quick. If not, then I'm buying the 5:1

swervyjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the granny 1st, you could easily get away with 3.55s. A little food for thought, and I could be wrong, but real trucks have tall gears in the rear end. They have a lot of low gear options in the trans to get a load moving. If money was no object, I'd get the tallest possible gears out back with a deep 1st and some kind of aux trans. That should pull anything and still run triple digits empty.

Ultimately we need to know what you are going to use the pickup for.

swervyjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With enough time and money, anything is possible. I have a Spicer 7041 sitting on standby, it has 4 gears 2.31, 1.21, direct, and 0.83. Its not small. 350 lb. Low range will be unusable. From my excessive quality time with Google, most aux box ratios are in that ball park. Ultimately low 4th will most likely never be more than 3:1.

One could always divorce mount a transfer case. The front driveshaft would a mile or so long, but its an option.

Any who, I've been on gearing kick lately with excel spread sheets to prove The whiskey ain't helping either. Hopefully we aren't hijacking this thread.

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
Haha, its no big deal, the differe ce, LCam, in a T19w/ranger and N e4od, is the fact that Im not going with the 4:1 box, so I will at very least be able to split one gear, and have an ovrdrive, and I will have a much lower 1st. (E4od is only 2.32:1 if I remember right), so a taller gear in the rear won't be much of a sacrifice if any.

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
Also with no signs of cavitation, I'm thinking about boring it and sleeving it down to a 6.9 and using 6.9 pistons; 6.9 reliability against cavitation, w/ 7.3 studs!

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the plan of 6.9 sleeves in a 7.3 block. Certainly get the best of both IDI's there......... no cavitation worries and 1/2 studs to prevent head gasket issues........ perfect.

I'm also waiting with baited breath for the Moose Boost........ my Banks is leaking oil past the compressor seal and needs a rebuild...... and I need more air for the Moose pump/injectors. I'd much rather run a better turbo from Conestoga than rebuild the Banks. Rumor has it........ the Moose Boost turbo will make a debut at the rally in a week and a half.;Really:hail

We'll see...........

Heath

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US

Members online