CADHOWDY

Reaction score
So here is the scoop,

I currently have a 6.9 block, heads, and rotating assembly ready to go from my machinist. (Build Thread; EBAY TURBO BUILD) The last pieces that I need are a set of .040 over size piston rings. We have been unable to source them from any of our suppliers and the manufacturers themselves have nothing, even for upcoming production. I need a solid lead on a complete NOS set in what ever small time machine shop or private stock there may be.

1984 F250 6.9 Diesel

Top Ring
5/64"
Second Ring
5/64"
Oil Ring
7/64"

4.040 Bore

I am in Alberta and am willing to pay what is necessary to acquire them.

Thank ya kindly.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right now we all are in a parts problem. Not just idi stuff..040 is an unusual over bore size. Might have to go .060?

CADHOWDY

Reaction score
I guess it just takes another set of eyes to take a look because I had tried to find these rings from these guys previously.

Thanks for the Help riphip.

CADHOWDY

Reaction score
Well I had forgotten but I had phoned Northern Auto Parts about a ring set a while back and they were no longer available then.

Still looking for any leads.

I have considered going that route Booyah.
I wonder if the letters obs in the description under E447K40 mean that it's obsolete? That would make a little sense as to why you can't get them.

I used these guys once for a custom build I had going on. https://www.grovercorp.com/?gclid=C...ZwZHrk1W94wE0o1xCIA1oA6Zb2VoxMCYaAr5IEALw_wcB

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
I'm surprised even rock auto is showing out of stock and they normally have everything.

Try searching ebay. Might take some digging but I know have seen full sets of over sized rings there before.

CBRF3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So here is the scoop,

I currently have a 6.9 block, heads, and rotating assembly ready to go from my machinist. (Build Thread; EBAY TURBO BUILD) The last pieces that I need are a set of .040 over size piston rings. We have been unable to source them from any of our suppliers and the manufacturers themselves have nothing, even for upcoming production. I need a solid lead on a complete NOS set in what ever small time machine shop or private stock there may be.

1984 F250 6.9 Diesel

Top Ring
5/64"
Second Ring
5/64"
Oil Ring
7/64"

4.040 Bore

I am in Alberta and am willing to pay what is necessary to acquire them.

Thank ya kindly.
o.040 is going to be difficult most are now 0.025 then 0.050 the hastings 0.050 part# is 2D569350 and that is the good set with same first and second ring gap not the one with the 2nd ring gap of 0.060-0.070

https://www.hastingspistonrings.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/diesel-catalog.pdf look under ford truck 1983-1988 6.9 again the part number i gave you is the set people look everywhere for and often resort to R&D idi's total seal ring set when in actuality hasting already made a set for the 6.9.

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
o.040 is going to be difficult most are now 0.025 then 0.050 the hastings 0.050 part# is 2D569350 and that is the good set with same first and second ring gap not the one with the 2nd ring gap of 0.060-0.070

https://www.hastingspistonrings.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/diesel-catalog.pdf look under ford truck 1983-1988 6.9 again the part number i gave you is the set people look everywhere for and often resort to R&D idi's total seal ring set when in actuality hasting already made a set for the 6.9.
Hastings specs are in metric, so that .50 in the catalog isn't .050", it's .5mm/.020". Him needing .040", would mean he needs 1mm overbore, which isn't commonly available.

Does anyone know what R&D offers? I always thought people were calling it a gapless 2nd ring, which would require a very obviously different 2nd ring. His website shows a conventional ring in the picture though, which isn't gapless, and doesn't mention the word gapless either. The hastings ring isn't gapless, it's just a standard reverse torsion ring.

Total seal does offer a gapless 2nd ring in both top and 2nd ring configuration.

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thinking about this more, the top and 2nd ring specs aren't all that uncommon from anything else automotive. The 7/64 oil ring is the odd duck, but you might be able to find something to work from another application as well.

I'd look into that, before I'd look into custom rings.