guage pod question

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those folks with 91 and older, did you cut the 92 pod and screw it to the plastic for the windshield pillar?

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Jon,

I've got an '88 but was unable to find a pillar pod for that year, so I bought the 92-97 pillar set up. The guy at the diesel shop told me to just remove the factory trim piece & replace it with the gauge pod. No luck there for me. I ended up cutting off the bottom of the pod (where it would meet the side of the dashboard), reinstalled the factory trim piece, then screwed the pod to that. Not beautiful, but it looks OK.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
JPR said:
For those folks with 91 and older, did you cut the 92 pod and screw it to the plastic for the windshield pillar?

Yep - gotta cut the 92 and up pod. They don't make a 3 pod for the 91 and under.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
JPR said:

HERE is a pic of my guages, I used the 92 pod as well, and totally removed my stock pillar, did some trimming and fitting at the top and bottom and it worked great. Looks like a factrory job. just need to take your time with it and do a lot of testing fitting and trimming.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
That looks really sharp. Wish I would have seen that before I cut the bottom off mine. I just didn't think it was gonna fit with that bumpout at the bottom. Also, mine didn't run the full lenght above the door. Can't see that part in the pic. Did yours go all the way over the door?

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
apextrans said:
That looks really sharp. Wish I would have seen that before I cut the bottom off mine. I just didn't think it was gonna fit with that bumpout at the bottom. Also, mine didn't run the full lenght above the door. Can't see that part in the pic. Did yours go all the way over the door?

Thanks Scott,

Yes it goes above the door and molds in after some trimming. I thought I had a pic of it but I can't find it. It may be on my work puter, I will check tomorrow.

Darrin.

Conn

Offroad Jeep Dude
Reaction score
Darrin, where did you get that second pod on the dash. I'd like to have another place to mount some more gauges (i'll have to move the Sirius radio somewhere) but would still like to have oil temp, h20 temp and an ammeter or vaccum gauge.

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JPR said:

Yup.

Gonna cut the top and bottom off, then put a couple more screws into it to hold it to the factory plastic more securely (so it doesn't creak and groan).

I don't understand why companies don't think the '87-'91 market is not interested in a 3-gauge pillar pod for our trucks...

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey I'll play too! I used the same pod as Darrin for the '92 and up - made by Autometer I believe.
Clicky here for pics

I did mine alittle different though - I put my pod over top of the original. Did alot of careful trimming to the bottom. Actually could have and prob should have done some more but it fits in there pretty snug and looks decent. Painted it gray to match the interior - matches much better than the pics show.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eric, your link doesn't work, because you didn't make the album public. Only you can see it right now. ;Really

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agnem said:
Eric, your link doesn't work, because you didn't make the album public. Only you can see it right now. ;Really

Thanks Mel! Didn't realize...maybe this one?

Try Try again

It's the first gauge pod. Hopefully that works - didn't know they were public and private :confused:

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
I didn't have a pic so I will take one tomorrow.

Conn,

I got it here locally from Performance Diesel, I think it was around $40.00 If you want one let me know and I can get one to you.

Eric is correct, Autometer guage pod.

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never got the pod install finished, so I am just getting back to it now.

So here is the problem, the bottom gage does not want to sit flat because the gauge is hitting the curved part of the pod. Did you folks have this problem?

Attachments

• pod problem.JPG
    pod problem.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 8