Growl at 1100 RPM

lgettler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a audible growl at 1100 RPM. I move the throttle up slowly through the 1100 RPM range and get the growl or when driving as the RPM pass through 1100 up or down it growls The sound seems to come right in front of steering wheel or under the dash, I'm sure its not under the dash just transmitted there. Under the hood its there but not as loud as in the cab.

Any thoughts or experience in this area.

Larry :dunno

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Well my unedumacated guess would be that is gear roll over noise. Does it clear up when your driving and you get up to about 1300-1400rpm's on up?

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something to check...
I had a very similar noise going on years ago, and it lasted for years because I could not for the life of me figure out where it came from.
Well long story short...I had a friend hold the rpm's at the speed that made the growl and vibration...about 1100 rpm. I went around placing my hand on different parts under the truck and hood. When I grabbed the AC hose that's mounted along the top back firewall above the air cleaner the growl went away!
Turns out the mounting clips sent the vibration/growl into the Cab and Dashboard big time!
My cure was to wrap the thick AC hose in foam pipe insulation purchased at Home Depot.
Growl...be gone! ;Sweet

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
Something to check...
I had a very similar noise going on years ago, and it lasted for years because I could not for the life of me figure out where it came from.
Well long story short...I had a friend hold the rpm's at the speed that made the growl and vibration...about 1100 rpm. I went around placing my hand on different parts under the truck and hood. When I grabbed the AC hose that's mounted along the top back firewall above the air cleaner the growl went away!
Turns out the mounting clips sent the vibration/growl into the Cab and Dashboard big time!
My cure was to wrap the thick AC hose in foam pipe insulation purchased at Home Depot.
Growl...be gone! ;Sweet

I had the exact same problem with the a/c hose. Used strip ties to tighten the clips. No more vibration.