Help with hollow engine sound after bad injector

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Video link to hear the sound I’ve got.

I’m not getting any noise specific to the air intake and the exhaust feels/sounds pretty even. No puffs. Have not compression tested yet but will this weekend.

Thanks Bart for the guidance, exactly what I needed
I don’t hear a growl, but your exhaust sounds very loud.(Like your muffler is shot, you have a hole, or a gasket blew out.) As Selahdoor suggested maybe your exhaust deteriorated somewhere on your trip and the growl is just a louder exhaust. (Drone or hum of a louder or new note.) Gasket, hole, muffler, pipe, or?

It would make sense as you say it happens under acceleration when the exhaust is generally the loudest. (Now louder.)

Perhaps you check your exhaust for cracks, holes, and leaks. If you find a hole try to patch it with some exhaust fiber heat wrap tape. When it dries go for a ride and see if that stops the growl. If the muffler is rusted out inside, that is the growl, the heat wrap is not going to quiet things up. But if the muffler or exhaust has a hole in the side of it perhaps it will.

If your exhaust is quieter then you also might be able to better hear what the growl is. Maybe just install a new muffler if the rest of the system is ship shape.

Meatloaf326

Reaction score
Ok it’s good to know it doesn’t sound unusual other than loud, I did find this oil leak between the bell housing and engine on the passenger side above the starter. It was bubbling when it was running. Main seal?

Attachments

• 6D9D96E1-14A8-4F55-BAB1-C194FBA217B7.jpeg
    6D9D96E1-14A8-4F55-BAB1-C194FBA217B7.jpeg
    298.4 KB · Views: 11

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Could be the rear main but that usually leaks out the bottom. If this is at the top of the bell housing start by checking the valve cover gaskets. (Very common leak.). Also often the diesel or oil on the valley pan (Top of the engine.) goes to the drain hole towards the back of the block and exits out the back of the block on the passenger half of the engine, by the starter, and top of bell housing. Maybe after doing the injectors one of your return lines or return line caps is leaking diesel. But if the main is leaking a lot maybe it is being blown or slung up in the bell housing. Start by smelling it. Does it smell like oil, diesel, or ATF.

Meatloaf326

Reaction score
Well now I REALLY feel like a rookie. Ofcourse everyone on here was right. “Sounds normal, just loud exhaust”... the muffler wiggled itself loose, and as far as the oil leak it was just leaking from the oil pan gasket and whipping up in there just as Bart suggested. Thanks all. Still learning

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Well now I REALLY feel like a rookie. Ofcourse everyone on here was right. “Sounds normal, just loud exhaust”... the muffler wiggled itself loose, and as far as the oil leak it was just leaking from the oil pan gasket and whipping up in there just as Bart suggested. Thanks all. Still learning
Its all part of the learning process. That is what is great about this membership. Lots of folks who have been there done that. Lots of folks willing to pay it forward and help another person out.

Did you end up doing the compression test? If so what where the results?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online