Gremlins are here, troubleshooting help please.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I have not had the chance to get into the truck since the rally. I have been working some overtime, installing a new 200 amp service at my Mom's house and dealing with the big "D" proceedings among other things. Good news is some OT has given me extra money so the turbo is going out for a rebuild soon. I have been making a jig to test oil coolers, and am about to get into the valve issues soon.

I will be re reading things here and hopefully getting to the bottom of things shortly. I am getting quite tired of daily driving a C70 dump truck, the 8.2 is on its governor at 62 mph.:puke: At least the "fuel pincher" part holds true. 11mpg isn't too bad I guess:rolleyes:

towtruckdave

Resident Nutcase
Reaction score
I am feeling it too Goose. Every time I want to work on my 6.9, there is always some other job pressing, bills to be paid, etc.

How long is your promar warranty good for?

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I got to some trouble shooting last Saturday. After disassembling some of the duct work I pulled the rocker that was punched and the one next to it. Both pushrods were bent and the other rocker was severely cracked at the base.:eek::puke:

I installed two used rockers and lifters and guess what..............ran perfect all the way up to the governer, no missing what so ever.:angel: I am going to cross my fingers and put it together for a run with the used parts.

I also found a company called Scroll Products, all they do is turbo rebuilds. A thorough rebuild with a new shaft and upgraded bearings is running $625 with a 4 day turn around. The owner, Shawn, had good things to say about my turbo, among other things it has the largest exhaust wheel available for that size housing. He is familiar with our site and has used it for his diesel 'benz. I am going to try and get him to participate more and maybe we can acquire a turbo expert here.

I am also making a test jig for the oil cooler for good measure. Progress is being made and it is about time. As always, some good pics to peruse.;Really

Attachments

• IMG00652-20110823-2007.jpg
    IMG00652-20110823-2007.jpg
    336.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG00651-20110823-2007.jpg
    IMG00651-20110823-2007.jpg
    329.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG00650-20110823-2007.jpg
    IMG00650-20110823-2007.jpg
    363.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG00649-20110823-2006.jpg
    IMG00649-20110823-2006.jpg
    442.8 KB · Views: 16

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Upgraded turbo bearings". Do tell. I use genuine garrett and they are supposed to be the best.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats Goose!;Sweet Glad to hear you've found the problem and have it fixed. Crazy thing to find. I honestly have never seen that happen with one of these IDI's. It makes me wonder what is going on under the valve covers on my 6.9 crew cab. I'll find out in a few months. I'm going to push on with it as is until the end of camping season. I hope it survives that long. If it blows up, oh well...... I'll have it in the shop sooner than planed.:D

Heath

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
"Upgraded turbo bearings". Do tell. I use genuine garrett and they are supposed to be the best.

The guy's name is Shawn. He said that my turbo comes with a 270 deg bearing and they can upgrade it to a 360 deg bearing. Maybe the thrust bearing?:dunno I wish I had a better grasp on turbos to better understand what Shawn explained. I am going to ask for a detailed explanation of the work done. Here is the link to their site:

http://site.scrollproducts.com/en/regeneration

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Slowly but surely progress is being made. The turbo should be back next week. The rebuilder took a huge hit with the Hurricane Irene. He said that the door knobs to his shop were under water.:eek: He also mentioned that the turbo stayed high and dry:angel: however final assembly would be postponed a week of so on account of the flooding. Best wishes to Shawn at Scroll Products.

Meanwhile I cut up some 1/4 plate to make a test jig for the oil cooler and got some 1/8" pipe hardware to apply shop air. I still have to drill and tap the plate for 1/8" tapered NPT. No biggie, just on the list as next thing to do. I am going to test 3 oil coolers with the junk rubber o rings and get the Ford good stuff for final assembly.;Sweet As usual, some pics.:sly

Attachments

• oil cooler test jig 4.jpg
    oil cooler test jig 4.jpg
    328.2 KB · Views: 4
  • loi cooler test jig 3.jpg
    loi cooler test jig 3.jpg
    350 KB · Views: 4
  • oil cooler test jig.jpg
    oil cooler test jig.jpg
    440.7 KB · Views: 3
  • oil cooler test jig 2.jpg
    oil cooler test jig 2.jpg
    394.9 KB · Views: 10

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 360 thrust bearing is not worth the money for out boost levels and oil change intervals. besides it puts an extra rotating sleeve on the shaft, less parts less trouble.

I have orings if you cand find them. Tousley ford has the best deal going.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I pulled and replaced ALL of the pushrods. Evey one was bent.:confused::puke: I replaced all of them andthe engine runs now like it is supposed to.I got the oil cooler in yesterday, the turbo is to follow this afternoon. I am almost afraid to finish.;Really Keeping my fingers crossed that this cures things for some time to come.:angel:

Here are some pics of the freshly rebuilt turbo.:sly Time to get dirty, wish me luck:D:angel:

Attachments

• turbo 1.jpg
    turbo 1.jpg
    469.8 KB · Views: 2
  • turbo 2.jpg
    turbo 2.jpg
    506.1 KB · Views: 2
  • turbo 3.jpg
    turbo 3.jpg
    496.2 KB · Views: 3
  • turbo 4.jpg
    turbo 4.jpg