Great deal on a new turbo

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a factory turbo setup I added to my 7.3 IDI NA, and I need a rebuilt or new, but I think it's a Garrett... does it matter who made the turbo?

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
they're only $595 shipped and no core... how much were they last night??
The first nite @typ4 posted them they were $550 no core as well as make BO.
Now last nite as well as now they $595 & no core as well as make BO.
Anybody know who this person is selling them? & are they any good??....ROTOMASTER
Seller is theturbobabe (6) & has 100% from Hugo, Minnesota

If a person snagged one what else would a person have to come up with to mount one on a NA? Have to have several other pieces & parts.....

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lots of cummins and cat turbos are coming out of china. So likely ok.
I just posted it as an interim if someone needed to get going till they wanted me to upgrade their original.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The first nite @typ4 posted them they were $550 no core as well as make BO.
Now last nite as well as now they $595 & no core as well as make BO.
Anybody know who this person is selling them? & are they any good??....ROTOMASTER
Seller is theturbobabe (6) & has 100% from Hugo, Minnesota

If a person snagged one what else would a person have to come up with to mount one on a NA? Have to have several other pieces & parts.....
Yeah I love how it's listed as a FORD turbo, but made by Rotomaster lol. Housing isn't stamped either. But Russ has a good idea, use as a backup turbo while your OEM unit is being upgraded. I'm glad he chimed in cause I couldn't figure out why he posted that.
For reference I got a CHRA from Justin like 3 years ago for $550 after tax.

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need a bunch of stuff... the wye, downpipe, crossover pipe, intake hat, airbox, turbo oil line, valve cover, CDR valve connector... did I miss anything? ;)

I got a factory turbo setup from another IDI and it was mostly a bolt-on. That's what I'd recommend. I had to make a braided steel oil line and adapter to fit the port on the back of the block. Also bought a Banks downpipe to replace the ridiculous crushed-flat factory piece.

But the turbo's worn out, won't make over 5-6 psi even with the wastegate disconnected, and I am seriously considering buying one of these $595 specials!

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today I got the cartridge and started on the swap. Pulling the turbo is always a PITA. On my truck (originally NA) it will NOT come out with both the pedestal and elbow attached.

I spent a lot of time trying to disconnect the elbow at the exhaust housing... it's basically impossible to get the bolt that's underneath. Maybe with the right C-wrench but it would need to be open-end... anyway I finally gave up and undid the oil drain nuts on the pedestal. Then it came out, with the elbow still attached, although a tight squeeze. (I left the wye pipe and downpipe in place without loosening anything underneath - the up-pipe slid right out of the wye).

With the turbo on the bench, disassembling the intake side was simple - and afterwards I realized I'd forgotten to clock it. :oops: I scribed a line on the exhaust housing... and three of the six bolts would not loosen. My flame wrench and some penetrating oil did the trick.

Then I started reassembling... exhaust housing went on ok. But the large O-ring provided for the compressor housing seal was too small in diameter. It fits on the machined step of the cartridge flange, but not in the shallow circumferential groove of the housing. It won't go together properly that way due to the added height of the O-ring, either. :( And naturally I buggered up the old O-ring removing it from the groove, too...

Any thoughts?