Grab Handles

Trikebent

Reaction score
I'd like to install grab handles in the passenger side. One overhead and one on the windshield pillar. Any suggestions or things to not do?

rreegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve never installed grab handles myself on a truck but for marine applications backing plates and through bolts are all you need. On a truck you are probably less concerned about corrosion - if you can access the interior side of the body panel id through bolt and use a ss washer behind at least.
Imo self tappers are used a lot on trucks (and much easier than through bolting) maybe if the screw is big enough they’d work fine? - just don’t stand on the handles. They’re most likely what is attaching the grab handles on my f250, even the side view mirror mounts are self tappers I think

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No clue where these came from or what they are the just came in the truck, I think they look good but this truck is no where near high enough for them to be useful
Not quite the location you described but oh well

Attachments

• D388F64E-257B-4ECB-B39C-046C115424C3.jpeg
    D388F64E-257B-4ECB-B39C-046C115424C3.jpeg
    352.7 KB · Views: 29

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was picturing on the interior but thanks. Those certainly would be an easier install.
Although, they don't look very useful. May be helpful for the guy that has to ride in the back seat. ;-)

leojr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used grab handles from a second gen Explorer of the same color. The Explorers have 3 handles (none for the driver) so I had to find two Explorers the 4 handles. I also snagged the clothes hook. Took my time measuring the location of the holes in the steel so the plastic trim pieces would look good afterwards. I used rubber rivnuts from NAPA and put flat washers under the trim to the handles bolted tight. I used hex cap screws instead of bolts. It looks factory and they have been installed for almost 10 years now. I'll take pics later.

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 70 year young wife would appreciate the pics. Especially now that I got the ride height going up a few inches. Would also appreciate you opening a new thread with the title of "Grab Handles"

WAID

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed one above the passenger side with rivnuts a few years ago. I think the handle was from an old 4runner.
You must be registered for see images attach

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I installed a grab "strap".

Take the visor off. There is a hole there. Stick something in that hole, and probe down toward the door. You'll find a space in there.

Drill through in the best spot. Drop a 1/4-20 bolt down through your hole. Put a washer on that bolt, first.

Fold a piece of nylon strap in half. (I used a piece of a rather large ratchet strap.) Burn a hole through the folded over strap, using a hot bolt or nail.

Slip that strap over the bolt that is now hanging from your roof. Add a washer. Then a nylock nut.

Reach into the first mentioned hole, with a bent wrench, to hold the head of that bolt and tighten the nylock nut down.

Now replace your visor.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you ever capsize, you're liable to run your noggin through that loop and then it twist tight as the truck rolls on over; you might should hang one of those seat-belt cutters handy.
It's barely big enough to get my hand through. No way my 'noggin' would even begin to fit.

:)

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed a grab "strap".

Take the visor off. There is a hole there. Stick something in that hole, and probe down toward the door. You'll find a space in there.

Drill through in the best spot. Drop a 1/4-20 bolt down through your hole. Put a washer on that bolt, first.

Fold a piece of nylon strap in half. (I used a piece of a rather large ratchet strap.) Burn a hole through the folded over strap, using a hot bolt or nail.

Slip that strap over the bolt that is now hanging from your roof. Add a washer. Then a nylock nut.

Reach into the first mentioned hole, with a bent wrench, to hold the head of that bolt and tighten the nylock nut down.

Now replace your visor.

Im thinking about doing something similar but would get a pair of these for to go on both side, using the seat belt as one is hard to grab.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86