GP stuck inside the Head

sassyrel

Reaction score
Never seen a plug come apart like this before either.[/QUOTE]

had one on my psd,,did a bit of head scrambling,,before I figggured it out.....ford said we pull the head...uh...N O!! not for no 1500 clams!! wrote about what I did,,in this forum before...

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
gentleman i was able to extract the element successfully with the Vise grip /slide hammer idea was mentioned by madpogue .

I put my own twist to the tool as i used one of the Lowes threaded rod and one of my bike sockets with stop washer & Nut at the end ,it worked like a dream , I would like to thank every one for guiding me thru this process and sharing their knowledge to save the OLD green machine . This is by far the best forum community and i am glad to be apart of it ..;Sweet

You can see the fab slide hammer and the dead element next to it
You must be registered for see images attach

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
That exactly the vice grips and threaded material we suggested you use. the socket was a good fit and idea too. Glad it came out too. now when you install the new plugs use some anti sieze on only the threads of the plug keeping that taper seat clean at the bottom of the threads. thats the only part of the plug that seals the head. The threads have nothing to do with sealing. they just hold the plug in the head.

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes i used cooper anti sieze on the new zd-9 Motorcraft GP threads only , The ones came out where the Beru glow plug which i am curious if these where the OEM and never been replaced since day one .

I also have a Q how often you maintain these GP . In my other diesel cars i don't have to worry about them until the CIL spits out Emssion work shop and that not often either

Matt33

Reaction score
This happend to me to. I started it to blow it out and nothing! So i left it runing and used vicegrips and turned it till it blew out. BE CAREFULL if you do it that way it shots out fast!

jim x 3

1988 F-350 DRW
Reaction score
Center electrode of GP stuck in head

This problem is probably more common than realized. It happened to me as well. In my case the problem GP seemed to be coming out of the head normally with a 1/4" drive deep socket. I was horrified to find just the top portion of the GP had come out. Blaster, rotation, and in/out pressure with extreme patience did the job.

Regards,

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I'm wondering if we could run a carbon remover before replacing the glow plugs? I have always heard that Mercury Outboard Marine makes and sells a carbon remover used before an engine tear down. Never purchased or tried it. If this works it sure could save some issues. Just thinking outside the box today..

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jim x 3 this exactly what happened to me, It leaves with 1000's of thoughts and a bad feeling & they are the same brand as well Beru :confused: . I went with ZD9 Motorcraft .

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's the VERYLUBE on ebay. But at $14.72 a tube and 1 tube per cylinder, thats too damn expensive for me.

*** For some reason I can't copy or paste on here, but just go to ebay and type in VERYLUBE, it in the USA also.

Total cost would be $117.76.

Summer Verylube is $2.00 less.

Last edited: