GP stuck inside the Head

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was in the proces of changing my glow plugs all the ones by the driver side went so well , The one under the filter the elment is still inside the head but all the top part and the thread part came out . If i shine light i can seee the needel tip of it .. I really could use some help .

I used Pb blaster all the way i spry and turn in and out slowly. How would i get it out

Last edited:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some guys have started the engine to blow it out. But doing that make sure you have a heavy balled up rag over it, it will come out like a 30 caliber, close the hood, start er up, see if it comes out. Another way is to punch it in to the precup, pull that cyl injector out and use a shop vac attached to that hole, then spritz compressed air into the GP hole to move the piece around and hope it's vacuumed out, usually you can hear it go into the vacuum. Another way is to screw in a long wood screw, not to big so you don't expand the piece, keeep soaking it with PB blaster, might loosen up so you can pull it out, probably all carboned.

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OLDBULL8 .. I am not making a head way with this IDI so far , It sat for long time and i wanted to do it right after i bought to make it road worthy for me , family and hauling my race rig but i guess some times things doesn't work out as well .

I have the elment soaked with PB blaster for the night and am hoping i get a good surprise tomorrow am .

What is the risk if if i start the Eng and it did notblow it out would it getsucked it the precup . I can see the hole elment setting in there looking at me

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there enough left sticking out that you could grab with a needle-nose (or regular) vise-grip? If so, another trick that has worked for some - remove the adjusting bolt from the vise-grip, find a longer bolt with the same thread. Also find or fab a weight of some kind (even a couple of sockets nested together) that the bolt can pass through. Slip the weight onto the bolt, then screw the bolt into the vise-grip. What you have now is a vise-grip slide-hammer. Clamp down on the GP and slide outward on the weight.

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yah there is plenty element left outside the head, I uploaded couple pictures .

One of the pic not so clear but you can see the full element out

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
This happened to me once and they do this cause the element is swollen and has hard crusted on carbon. I would grip it with some needle nose vice grips and slowly spin it and pull, do this at the same time, and it will work it's way out. Them needle nose vice grips are gonna have to be tight though.

This is most likely why it won't come out..... This was my latest battle, took 25 minutes of slow twisting and pulling with the vice grips, I didn't have any PB Blaster at the time either.....

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
USNENFTS , this is great idea as well.. looks like yours all mangled up , i went and bought a long nose vise grip and hope i will be able to do the pull and twist . i have 3 more to do pass side. hopefully the pb blaster does it"s trick if not i am going to try kroil before i go with what'S OLDBULL8 sugested

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this is just me, but id have the heads off already, and at the machine shop for a valve, seat, and guide job...

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^^^ Not "just you", but that option is reserved for those with the infrastructure and equipment to do it. A LOT of us are doing things like GPs (including the challenge of stuck ones) on a single-wide gravel driveway at 40F. In those conditions, wrestling one stuck GP looks a LOT better than pulling two heads. Not everyone has a fully equipped shop, let alone a roof over the truck.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
^^^^^ Not "just you", but that option is reserved for those with the infrastructure and equipment to do it. A LOT of us are doing things like GPs (including the challenge of stuck ones) on a single-wide gravel driveway at 40F. In those conditions, wrestling one stuck GP looks a LOT better than pulling two heads. Not everyone has a fully equipped shop, let alone a roof over the truck.

Fully agree. A simple oil change and greasing can turn into a messy, uncomfortable experience in nothing flat

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Hopefully that will pull out with the slide hammer idea using vice grips. Might want to force it back into the precup to allow the penatrant to leak past the part thats holding this in the head. Never seen a plug come apart like this before either.

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
would it be douable to remove the bolt from the V grip and replace it with actual slide hammer or fab one ..!

Last edited:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, I thought you just had the tip stuck in the head.
Keep trying to pull it out. As a last resort, there is no way it would be sucked down into the precup, it still has the tapered seat on it yet. If you can start the engine and blow it out, make sure you have padding over it, it will come out like a bullet and go thru the hood.

Last edited: