GP relay/controller

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like the GP controller is out. No power to the GPs today when I tried to start for work. I already cleaned up corrosion about 4months ago off the wires. With the turbo install I think I might just relocated the controller to the pass fender well and run new wires... Any suggestions??

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone delete the controller all together and run just a momentary switch??? I'm thinking of just dropping the GP controller all together. Run just a standard ford style starter relay with momentary switch in the cab to toggle it.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can definitely delete the controller if you do not want it. Your WTS light has a key-on power to it so it only lights up when the controller closes the ground, if you'd like to have an operational WTS light I'd recommend you run a key-on power to the glowplugs relay too and use the momentary switch to ground the relay (instead of powering it up), then you can tie the relay and the WTS light in one circuit and they will both work properly.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't use a starter relay, they aren't designed to handle the load that the glows will put on them for any amount of time. Get an 86 or so glow plug solenoid, will work just fine, and you can run it with a switched ground so you can make your WTS light work.

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MLSC I don't really want to get rid of the controller, but NAPA price is $213 and even Ebay is $95. Kind of pricey in my book for a timer that reads Coolant temps to scale the GP time on.

82F100... your telling me that a GP system will draw more amps than that of a SB\BB Ford will?? I dont see how. Seems it takes more power to run the starter than the GP... Comparing the size of power cables the Starter cable dwarfs the twin GP 10g wires I currently have.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think Ive got a few spare controllers lieing around if your interested. Ive been collecting them whenver I find um, so Ill check my parts box.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On thing is for sure, you definitly want a high quality Motorcraft relay. There IS a difference, which you can see when you take them apart. We spent an inordinant amount of time on Gary's truck last summer at the rally trying to piece together a working GPC and most of it was due to bad relays (solenoid contactors).

This is a picture of a cheap one.

You must be registered for see images

Good ones have a disc that rotates with every activation, so the same spot doesn't get burned over and over again, creating a much longer life part.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would use cole hersee solenoids if i was going to do that.