Got my exhaust on

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
I had to redo my exhaust when I installed a spectra 38 gallon tank as it hit my previous setup. Went real high tech with my new exhaust. Straight

I have the banks downpipe that exits at that goofy angle so I made a piece at about a 45 degree angle to get it shooting straight towards the rear (not shown). I then put on a flex coupler and shot it high and tight straight down the frame rail with all the chunks of 3" I had and then had to adapt up to 4" to dump over the axle (just using up what I already had). Previously I had 3' from downpipe to end of cab and then 4" from cab to over axle with no flex coupler. It droned and reverberated and really wan't much better than the downpipe ending under the cab (annoying)

This setup is MUCH quieter in the cab and exits right behind the rear tire just past the leaf spring and fuel tank. I'm happy with it!

Attachments

• IMG_1629.JPG
    IMG_1629.JPG
    321.6 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_1629.JPG
    IMG_1629.JPG
    449.2 KB · Views: 136

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very cool. I like straight pipes on my IDI turbo's. They don't seem too loud. I'm not a loud exhaust kind of guy.

Funny how much exhaust pipe a guys uses on these trucks!

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nice.
i hope you dont run that heater next to that fuel! :D
and thats the best use of lifting weights ive seen! ;Sweet

KZF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Muffler Delete was one of the first things I did to my truck...dig the way it sounds.

You must be registered for see images attach

jhenegh

Reaction score
Here's what it looks like on the truck. Flex coupler after downpipe and just a simple 45 drgree turnout to just below the fuel tank and leaf springs.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    637.2 KB · Views: 76
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 95
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 65
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    494.3 KB · Views: 62

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:eek: Crusher saddle U-clamp in pic 2 :eek: !!!

I always wondered why there's no flex section in our exhaust. Good idea to fab one in, just so that engine movement doesn't strain the rest of the system.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always wondered why there's no flex section in our exhaust.

Shouldn't need any if your entire exhaust is mounted with those rubber isolators.

With the OP's mounted direct to the frame it's a good thing to have. Hopefully that short section has enough flex in it to account for the engine and frame twist under the full-torque, WOT, pin-you-back-in-your-seat acceleration of the IDI LOL LOL

jhenegh

Reaction score
Shouldn't need any if your entire exhaust is mounted with those rubber isolators.

With the OP's mounted direct to the frame it's a good thing to have. Hopefully that short section has enough flex in it to account for the engine and frame twist under the full-torque, WOT, pin-you-back-in-your-seat acceleration of the IDI LOL LOL

I'm not solid mounted to the frame. My hangers have little rubber strips. I have 2 hangers, one at the very front of the bed and another right over the rear axle before the downturn. The two visible clamps in pic#3 are the hangers. I also had it mounted this way before and it droned a lot and there was tension in the pipes so a flex coupler seemed to relieve whatever stress was there.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
@jhenegh

Do you remember where you got the straight section originally? I am looking to get about 10' of 3.5" and 2 band clamps. I have a couple of "things" in the exhaust I would like to eliminate......... but want to use the band clamps, so I can easily make changed if I so choose.......

I was thinking maybe TruckPro down here in Indy, unless you know of somewhere that is less expensive.

jhenegh

Reaction score
Old pipe from what I had laying around and 4' from Summit. Rural King sells 4' chunks, tractor supply might too. For 10' summit may be a good option because I bet you'll be over $100 and shipping will be free

sassyrel

Reaction score
@jhenegh

Do you remember where you got the straight section originally? I am looking to get about 10' of 3.5" and 2 band clamps. I have a couple of "things" in the exhaust I would like to eliminate......... but want to use the band clamps, so I can easily make changed if I so choose.......

I was thinking maybe TruckPro down here in Indy, unless you know of somewhere that is less expensive.

band clamps,,and pipe,,at a semi truck joint..............

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
OK... I need 3.5 though...... the rest of the system is going to stay stock size...... just a couple "things" in the middle that look like they are about ready to "fall out"....... Still TruckPro?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7