Got my ATS non gated turbo today

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see a few things I'm missing too. Like those bins along the wall, and all that space. :hail I'd kill to be that organized. LOL

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
I see a few things I'm missing too. Like those bins along the wall, and all that space. :hail I'd kill to be that organized. LOL
I make it a habit to not look in anybackground of pics....jealosy gets me all choked up & teary-eyed:cry: :cry: All thu OB boys & girls got life made....fancy, spacious, organized, heated shops with waxed floors, buffed work benches.......
I forgot to mention before, sure hope MR Bill puts new tires on my truck while he's got it, they're slick, slick, slick :D

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I am going to do some research on this. I just want to have all the parts when I finally go for the install. Why do they say you need to cut away the ear on the transmission? If so is that hard? Thanks,
J.D.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
orings

And another where the turbo mounts to the pedistool-I never cut any ear off the transmission??

Last edited:

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All thu OB boys & girls got life made....fancy, spacious, organized, heated shops with waxed floors, buffed work benches.......
:rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao

Shop? What's that?!?

I guess you never saw the pics from when I did my head gasket/turbo job in '04. Everything was done outside, in the driveway/carport and in a patio. The truck bed served as my storage area, and the tailgate was my "work bench" (and thank the diesel gods I was doing this during a dry California summer!!) The lawyers living next door were real happy about seeing a truck in pieces in the driveway next door for 4 months... LOL

Organized and spacious would be nice, but I'd be content just to be able to work indoors...:cry:

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Somewhat bad news

Well guys, I took my turbo kit to the lopcal CAT dealership. They were telling me that it has excessive endplay. I'm planning to send it off to Ken @ DPS to have it rebuilt. Hopefully its just a kit or at worst a new cartridge. Even at the far worst case, I still get a like new turbo for less than a truly new one would cost, so at least I'm happy about that. I don't know if the PO knew how to take care fo a trubo diesel. Looks like there's the endplay and some particulate abrasive damage on the turbine impeller.... Sucks but I knew that was possible going in to the deal. Ken said about the dipstick that I'm basically left with bending the current one or having them fabricate one for me. I wonder if the Banks or Hypermax turbo dipstick would work or even the E-series one like Old MR. Bill suggested. Thanks for listening and any ideas are welcome.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
JD As far as the dipstick goes I am not trying to give you hope that a van one will bolt in.I can't imagine any way that it can be done with out some bending.However I thinbk a van tube might give you a closer start,the bends are critical because of the clearence and the angle of the bends.Remember the dipstick doesn't like to turn sideways and will bind if it has to turn sideways.If you look closley at mine U will see that I have done some fabing in it,that is why I call it the stick from hell.When I finally got it position correctly while I was putting the engine in I made an extra Bolt tab so It will always got back just so in the future(my truck needed zippers on the engine and Trans for a while) because every time it was out it was a Pain in tha _ss getting it just right in place.

ttman Sure just send me the$$$ I'll get your tires on tomorrow-I know what you mean they are worn pretty badly-U should have replaced them B4 I stole it. SHAME SHAME ;Really \
heated shops
and it is airconditioned too.You need it when you get "well aged"
I'd kill to be that organized.
Well Mel Look at these Pics I thought you were talking about my shop but this made me realize it was another shop you saw somewhere.Look Junk scattered -tools out of place-The Lincoln has been sitting there waiting for me so long ,the tires went flat waiting.I just wish I had the energy to be like I used to.Today I dream and plan projects hoping God will give me the power to do them when he feels it is the time.Although I have been buying a few small hand tools here and there while planning :)
Okie ****** will tell You ,this shop is open for all passerbys or who ever needs help on their trucks from these boards.Darn I feel blessed to be a small part of this group..
Actually it is not fancy kinda old -a lot of older equipment-patched up stuff-packratted stuff-TONS OF BINS that need to be emptyed and picked over by other pack rats.Like Mel :rotflmao :rotflmao :eek: ;Sweet

Attachments

• DSCF0304.JPG
    DSCF0304.JPG
    527.2 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCF0306.JPG
    DSCF0306.JPG
    582.5 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCF0308.JPG
    DSCF0308.JPG
    875.1 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCF0309.JPG
    DSCF0309.JPG
    852.8 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCF0310.JPG
    DSCF0310.JPG
    606.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
JD, good luck on the turbo rebuild. Mine has lots & lots of miles & still tight last time I ck'ed.
orings on pedistal yeah, I forgot that one. Kinda important one to.
BTW Bill, checks in the mail. Wintertime's here, I need 10 ply gripers. I'll worry about balancing when you bring'her back....but while 'ya washing & detailing her out, could you look under the back seat?? I've lost my wallet. "Mad money" in the back, under the flap where I keep the food stamps.....help your self, OK? Doubt you have time to start my "LuckyMod", I'll do it on this end.
Dipstick: You boys talking about automatic dipstick I think. Big problem with new bends in tube with flat dipstick! This is different, but when I was adding & deleating stuff under my hood, I needed to move my engine oil dipstick. Ended with different tube or something, bent all kinds of angles. Was really hard to keep from ruining tube from kinks & new bends. I needed longer & more flexable stick. I looked for bigger older speedometer cable to braze onto handle, but couldn't find one (used to use this kind on the semi's) Finally rummaged thru local Ford's boneyard obsolete sticks. Found some long one from an auto-tran. Changed oil, remarked at my 11qt & 12qt marks. Then still had to carefully grind down the sides about 3/4 of length & make a "streamlined" point on end of stick. Stick's lot narrower than original. Took about 3-4 trys to get it to slide better around the new tweaks & bends. Also took a whet-rock & file to the sides several times & smoothed burrs, that helped lots.
Turbo downpipe joint That joint of mine has always leaked at startup for close to a minuite till warmed up & expand, & you'd think it be easy to slip apart. I've fought that thing, squirted stuff, beat on it, wiggled it, said "dirtyword, dirtyword, dirtyword" so many times I'm ashamed. Then other times I get all psyched-up, mad, mean, then start the project.....& the d**n thing fall apart. "Scaried it apart", I guess???
Shop A/C & pretty shop pics Mine is AC'ed too. Sun was shinning yesterday so I started to take some pic & learn how to post'm to OB. But I got into a dilemma....couldn't figure which side to start shooting first. Has no walls, no roof, doors, nor floor...but she's A/C'ed!!!
Wifey makes me "do it" out past, even past the backyard, out in the pasture! Ex cords & such run everywhere!!! Ya get the Pic??
But Warden, I don't have to worry about next door lawyers like you. We "live on the other side of the tracks."
I been eyeballing the garage where she parks her car....I could knock the wall out, then drive part way into the living room to mechanic work! Be closer to the TV...no lost time....turn wrenches & watch "Oprah, Days of Our Lives, Turning Worlds, Dr Phill"
Somethings up with the wifey though....she said something about "not liking the last nearly 34 yr of my oil, grease, & of allthings,junk & not planning to change now!!!" I don't know....beats me!

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kind of o-ring do you need for teh pedestal? It looks like it plugs in right7 where the stock CDR is, so I would assume an o-ring such as the CDR valve has would work just fine? I'm hoping for the best on the turbo rebuild. If I can get away with just the turbo kit that would be really awesome. But I knew that I was takinga chance on an ebay turbo.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
There is an oring where the turbo mounts to the pedistool if you look you will see the groove on the top of the pedistool.Also it will be helpful for you to know that orings have a standart sizing you can measure the grooves or take them to a shop that deals in orings-match them up and away you go.Usr your imagination for where the pedistool mounts to the intake manifold-it uses an oring there(where the old CDR mounts) the pedistool covers the old hole for the CDR.I can't wait for you to get the job done-you have mentioned a turbo to me before - so I know you have been wanting one for awhile.I am happy for you cause I know nothing comes easy for you.guys JD is a great human and a good person.I am proud he is on our team.
"I'm butterin him up so he will take me fishing In FLA some time.:rotflmao :shoot:

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well Bill, if you make it to FL, a fishing trip will be forthcoming!! I need to look at that pedestal again so I can figure it out.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JD-

They're referring to the o-ring that is between the Turbo and the pedestal...not the one that seals the pedestal in to the valley pan where the CDR used to go.

All of the o-rings that are used in the ATS kit are "standard" sized o-rings that you should be able to source at NAPA if ATS says they don't have 'em anymore.

Whatcha gonna do for exhaust?

Ryan

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok that's good info...as to the exhaust, I already have a freeflowing 3"ID aftermarket exhaust from the Y-pipe to the tailpipe. What I'd like to do is ditch the Y-pipe and go 3" all the way. i would not like to pay ATS or Banks prices for a Y-pipe delete. Any ideas?

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, you're pretty much gonna have a Y-Pipe delete when you install the downpipe from the turbo.

The exhaust has to flow through the crossover pipe to the turbo, and then out through the downpipe to your exhaust. You'll have a little cutting and welding to do to mate it up with your existing 3" system, but it should be easy.

I opted to install a 4" system designed for the Powerstroke. I simply cut and welded the 4" system to my ATS downpipe and the rest fit right in my truck with a little creative hanger work. Either way, you should be fine. 3" is PLENTY for the amount of airflow you'll see with a turbo on these old trucks. I only went 4" because it was actually cheaper than a 3" direct replacement for my truck, and I didn't want the stock exhaust at all.

Ryan