Got my ATS non gated turbo today

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, everything came and it looks like just about everything is there. I do have a few concerns though. There is no oil feed lin that came with this turbo that I can see. This is my first and greatest concern, and second, I am curious as to how the intake side of teh snailshell is secured into the intake manifold. The part that screws onto teh manifold is there as is the intake pipe from the turbo, but is there supposed to be some clamp there or is it a press fit with an oring? Lastly, no transmission dipstick tube came with the kit...is the turbo C6 dipstick specific to ATS or can I use the Banks or Hypermax version? How about teh one for teh ATS non gated turbo? Also, am I better off cutting away part of teh firewall or going witha 2" lift kit to get the downpipe to clear? DOes thsi trick really even work? Thanks!
J.D.

hugeredford

snow drift buster
Reaction score
I have the same turbo set up as you but I replaced the cab a year ago and the turb now has no room to come up off of the pedistal so you may have problems with clearance. also your intake side of the turbo just slides on and uses an o-ring to seal.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The firewall seam is easily clearanced with a die-grinder and a BFH.

The turbo is attached to the intake hat via a press-fit and an o-ring- no clamps necessary.

The oil line is still available from ATS, I installed a new one on my kit when I installed my kit last fall. I still have the used line that came with my kit if you can't get a new one. Also, you could have one made up easily at any hydraulic hose shop.

I don't know about the dipstick situation, as mine's a manual trans. I'd imagine that you could persuade your stock dipstick to work with a little effort, but I've never seen one to know for sure.

Do yourself a favor, and apply some high-temp sealant to the up and down pipes when you slip them into the exhaust housing of the turbo to avoid leaks. It'll still leak some, but that'll minimize it.

Ryan

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
the snail/intake uses the a bolt that goes through the same hole the old NA intake uses.

screw the dipstick... Get one of the flexible dipsticks off of ebay. They are firewall mount and are $20-$30. Of course I have a c6... I ran my old truck with a c6 for 6years without a dipstick.... I hade a plug jammed in there, and would just do the finger test for fluid. (yuuup still some in there).

I dunno about everyone else, but I didn't have to push/cut or bend the firewall. I had to cut the lil ear off the trans but that was it.

oil line.... better off with a new one.... who knows how much sludge is caked in there.

only other thought, is if you ever wanted one of those nifty gear wrench sets.... now would be the time to buy some :) preferably with the 5degree click

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
If I remember right you got a non wastegated turbo. First the oil line I didn't like the origional line I felt it was an area for a future breakdown.So I fabricated my own out of 3/8 steel brake line using ample cusion mounts to prevent vibration craqcks-so far so good.Next I could not get the origional type grommet used on the eaarly IDI Cdr they have changed it to a newer style or so I was told.I purchased a 1994 cdr grommet and using a die gringer enlarged the center to fit at the same time making a very tight hole for the turbo pedistal to seal into.Next the dipstick tube it is the tube from hell it is subject to extreme heat and I have burnt my finners a couple times just checking the oil.Ats told me I couldnt get a new one from them.It is bent to allow it to weave trhough the exhaust maze so I have repaired and added my own bends tio it as well as wrapped some of it with exhaust tape.I think a dipstick tube from a van might just be the answer to the problem -may need some alterations but I think it would be possible(no gaurentee implied)

Attachments

• CDR  gromets.JPG
    CDR gromets.JPG
    120.4 KB · Views: 26
  • Home made grommet in place.JPG
    Home made grommet in place.JPG
    309.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Another veiw of home made oil line.JPG
    Another veiw of home made oil line.JPG
    307.5 KB · Views: 27
  • Rear of engine showing homemade turbo oil line.JPG
    Rear of engine showing homemade turbo oil line.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 26
  • Turbo Mounted.JPG
    Turbo Mounted.JPG
    24.3 KB · Views: 42

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Woops another Pic "the dipstick from hell" well 4 pics

Attachments

• Engine out trans resting on home made support.JPG
    Engine out trans resting on home made support.JPG
    185 KB · Views: 32
  • The dipstick from Hell 1.JPG
    The dipstick from Hell 1.JPG
    315.3 KB · Views: 20
  • The dipstick from hell 2.JPG
    The dipstick from hell 2.JPG
    312.4 KB · Views: 19
  • Trans dipstick from hell.JPG
    Trans dipstick from hell.JPG
    21.7 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the pics Mr. Bill. Helps me understand a little better hwo this thing goes together. Looks like its not complicated, but I bet its tedious...that turbo is heavy.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
Hope some of this helps.
I have the older nongated ATS. Mr Bills pic showing the turbo in one, the intake "swirl bonnet" as I call it that is laying close to the manafold intake in his pic, & then the turbo pedestal in another.
My pressure side of the turbo slips inside the swirl bonnet on the intake....O ring inside this slip joint.
O ring or gasket,don't remember, under the swirl bonnet where it sits on the intake manafold.
On mine everything is outa site & hard to see where the oil return pedestal goes through/into the grommet in the valley pan. Caution: make sure this all fits properly now, as well as ck it later....few mo down the road. Couple of year ago I either let mine not get fitted together properly when I was messing with the turbo, or over time fuel/oil or something had swelled and/or worn my grommet....& It WILL let water fill the crankecase at the carwash....don't ask how I knowLOL
Clearance on my pass. side firewall was fixed with a Big Hammer.
I did a 2" body lift 2-3 yr ago, then did another 2"= 4" total....It did give more room under hood & around turbo.
I did run into drivers side firewall hitting rear corner of head. While I had all the body, bed, etc loose I scooted everything back about 3/4", this helped on engine clearance....along with Big 5' prybar & Big Hammer on dr. side firewall. BUTit's amazing how easy a hole can get poked thru the firewall with hammers & prybars & not enough lite.....another one of those "how do I know"LOL

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah Bill, I will call you and you can tell me how to make the feed line. I do have your #. Yeah I am going to wait about a month to install until school is out, but I need to find all the parts that I need, which might be missing. TTman, thanks for the advice. I need an educationon these things,
J.D.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
These pictures will help more I hope.

Attachments

• top view with turbo installed.JPG
    top view with turbo installed.JPG
    298.6 KB · Views: 31
  • Keep the intake covered.JPG
    Keep the intake covered.JPG
    300.8 KB · Views: 27
  • turboinstalled.JPG
    turboinstalled.JPG
    297.5 KB · Views: 24
  • Note the ATS breather tube in valve cover.JPG
    Note the ATS breather tube in valve cover.JPG
    300.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 5 Starting at the top removing Turbo and air cleaner.JPG
    5 Starting at the top removing Turbo and air cleaner.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good pics Bill, that helps a lot. I can see a few things I'm missing. I do not have that hose that reroutes the CDR to the valve cover. I suspected taht would be missing or broken, I also figured I could go with a RDT or racor CCV or either fig up something that would repplace it. No big deal right? The person that I bought it from had the CDR plugged into the ATS intake...I don't know if that was a good idea, but is it any different than what Ford/IH did in stock trim? Maybe I'll have to get a pic and show you guys what i mean. Can you all tell me any othe rgaskets or Orings I will need? I know about the one for the intake side of the turbo and the one for the intake hat.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I think Ats has an installation kit that has all the orings, i think a RDT will be best -I am going to design 1 for my truck so I can eliminate the oil in the intake,which will give me a better idea if my turbo is leaking oil.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I called ATS and they say that they have no parts available for our turbos any longer...only the wastegated version. Maybe I need to do some more digging. As far as the RDT, I like the idea, but my motor really has a lot more blowby than I am comfortable just dumping overboards. The racor CCV/oil vapor cleaner is appealing...but the price is not. I will probably just keep the CDR for the time being...but I have yet to decide for sure.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
when'd you get my truck Mr Bill?

I see you washed it. Thanks. &I see you added a couple of red thinggies too....you fixed the clutch yet? It was slipping. Thanks again!:D :D
It do look just like mine under hood, same color firewall.

JD, I threw my CDR away, & for now I plumbed my RDT into the valve cover where that CDR "down tube/hose" (in Mr Bill's pic) goes into the valve cover. My "hose" always got brittle every couple years & seeped & leaked anyway. I "gently" cut that hose off & left enough out of the valve cover to screw one of those black plastic 90deg lawnsprinkler fittings into, then clamped my clear vinyl RDT hose to it. (the same type black fitting I used in top of fuel tanks vents when I fixed my fuel tank vent mod)
If I remember, there won't be a hole in the valve cover till this tube is plumbed in anyway. (I don't remember a factory hole there???) So you will have to do your CCV somewhere else.

I didn't want any CCV gas going thru my intake to get oil & stuff in my IC. I have the IC mounted & capped, but not hooked up yet.

I don't remember any other Orings or gaskets.....just one slip Oring from breather going over turbo intake, one slip from turbo outlet into intake swirl bonnet, then the one under bonnet to intake.
James