Got another stupid axle question.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
If I take the carrier out to weld the spiders or replace the clutches (I'm not sure if my new axle has LS or is open) can I just bolt it back in or do I have to set the backlash and such. Or is this a job best left to professionals?

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
If you are putting in the the SAME carrier you took out, it is just a matter of bolting it back in and torquing the caps. Just maek sure you keep track of where the shims came from so they go back in the same side

Ranger5.0L

Reaction score
If welding your spiders make sure you burn them in good to carrier and to each other also unless you plan on replacing your carrier bearings you better pull them off cause the heat from welding Will ruin them

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please dont weld a limited slip, I would gladly trade you for an open carrier.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
no need to weld to the carrier. i never have. never had an issue. this is the last one i did.

You must be registered for see images

thats the rear thats in my truck now. the last one had 6 years of hard abuse on it. not a crack.

Ranger5.0L

Reaction score
You must not have a heavy foot i had my 8.8 in my ranger welded just like you have and after one weekend of wheeling it took teeth right off the spiders no way i'd trust those welds with torque of the diesel and really no reason to not go the distance and burn them to the carrier

hairyboxnoogle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not that i have much experience in this, but whenever ive seen spiders welded, the spiders and carrier were welded, looked like a big metal ball. I must admit, welding just the teeth as in the above pic does not look very promising to me.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
must not have a heavy foot. HA! this is in my 86. my wheeling truck. that thing has a 2 position throttle. idle and WOT. 4.10 gears, 40 inch rubber.ask 6.9poweredscout if i am easy on it. he has seen me wheel and street drive it

here, cant put more stress on it than this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drxLkIuB8qc&feature=related

that was WOT. snaped the yolk. rear was fine.

Last edited:

hairyboxnoogle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont know how fun a welded diff would be on the street. Jerky and loud around corners, not to mention ******* tires. Also you wouldnt be able to haul anything with it, one turn and bye bye axles

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
What is the advantage to welding a LS?

I'm talking about the axle that's sitting in my trailer, It hasn't been installed yet and I haven't pulled the cover off yet (been to busy or raining) since I got it. So, I still do not know if it's open or LS.