Goofed again!

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I was finally able to reach Hypermax for the exhaust parts needed for my c6 conversion but now I have a bigger issue.
I have already installed the c6, transfer case and Gear vendors and driveshaft but in doing some reading, I see that I should have put sealant on the flex plate bolts that connect to the crank. Can someone verify for me how critical this is? When I put the new clutch and flywheel in a few months back, I didn't put anything on the bolts then and didn't have a problem. Just curious how many people really know to add sealer and if it makes a big difference, don't want to pull this thing back out! Thanks

jrad235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which bolts did you use? The ones that came with my clutch kit had sealer on them already, did yours have any left over on them?

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I had a decent transmission jack, I'd pull it back and fix it. When my cousin was up here to help me install it a couple weeks back, he brought a fancy trans jack with him that has everything lined up perfect, it slid right in with one shot. I may have to see what I can figure out. This thing has been down for a while and I need to get it running again soon.

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
If I had a decent transmission jack, I'd pull it back and fix it. When my cousin was up here to help me install it a couple weeks back, he brought a fancy trans jack with him that has everything lined up perfect, it slid right in with one shot. I may have to see what I can figure out. This thing has been down for a while and I need to get it running again soon.

I'd have to ask (it isn't mine) but there is a harbor freight transmission jack I believe laying around behind a cadillac here. don't know if that would help. Was used to swap a transmission out of a 57 chevy a while back, and then put into mothballs

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which bolts did you use? The ones that came with my clutch kit had sealer on them already, did yours have any left over on them?

I used the bolts that came with the c6 flex plate and they were not new, so no sealer.

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
I can't for the life of me think of a reason to put sealant there. It's not sealing anything, just bolts the flex to the crank, it's open air behind the flange. I would question the info you found on this. At the most I could see using some lock-tite, but even that wouldn't be necessary as long as the bolts were torqued down properly.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd have to ask (it isn't mine) but there is a harbor freight transmission jack I believe laying around behind a cadillac here. don't know if that would help. Was used to swap a transmission out of a 57 chevy a while back, and then put into mothballs

That would be nice. Sure would make things a lot easier. Let me know what you find out. Thanks!

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't for the life of me think of a reason to put sealant there. It's not sealing anything, just bolts the flex to the crank, it's open air behind the flange. I would question the info you found on this. At the most I could see using some lock-tite, but even that wouldn't be necessary as long as the bolts were torqued down properly.

My cousin may have used a little lock tight on those bolts now that I think about it, I wonder if that would be considered good enough? I'll give him a call in a bit.

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
That would be nice. Sure would make things a lot easier. Let me know what you find out. Thanks!

how long do you think it would take? I've been up since 5 pm.

edit: it's doable. the only problem is my vehicle doesn't run, and i'd have to be there. he doesn't want it getting broken or going missing

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Locktite is highly recommended. The "Sealer" that you see on new bolts is actually a compound to keep the bolts from loosening, much more than for sealing. I learned this the hard way on the Night Moose. We put used bolts in and torqued to spec with no sealer or locktite. Some time later, my son sheared all the crankbolts off.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The bolt holes on the crank hub go all the way thru. That's why it's suggested to put sealer on the bolts. Try running it, if it don't leak your Golden, if it does leak it won't be much. If you have a big leak it will prolly be the rear main seal. Then ya gotta jerk it.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly I'd recomend redoing it and sealing it properly.

do you really want to have to stop, tear it all down, clean all that BLACK oil off and then clean threads etc and finally add sealant to bolts?

Yer choice...leave n run it or Stop and seal it right!

Just sayin!

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I just talked with him, he used locktite on those bolts. I guess I'll leave it for now and move on, the city of Las Vegas already ticketed me for leaving it in the street too long and I need to get it running.
I should have the parts from Hypermax and a couple things I need from Gear Vendors before next weekend and I can hopefully have it up and running.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how long do you think it would take? I've been up since 5 pm.

edit: it's doable. the only problem is my vehicle doesn't run, and i'd have to be there. he doesn't want it getting broken or going missing

We'll wait for now, I need to get the rest of the stuff done while I'm waiting on some other parts but thank you for the offer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrannonB

Members online