good source for new valve cover?

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Well I can't get my passenger side valve cover to stop leaking. I've hammered it flat best I could and got new gaskets, RTV, etc, and it doesn't want to stop. I'm thinking just get a new cover and try that, there must be something wrong with this one I'm not seeing. I found some new ones on ebay but they're about $100 each. Is there any other source for new ones?

rattleonby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How serious is the leak? These old diesels will always weep a lil bit everywhere...keeps things lubricated for future removal :D. If its leaking a bunch try a better quality gasket, are urs 100% rubber?, maybe try a lil bit of the crazy IH gray silicone used typically for our oil pans. If not then i guess source out somewhere for some straighter covers i guess. No way in hell id pay 100$ for 40 of our valve covers let alone 2! Someone on this forum or out there in the universe there is someone that has em cheaper....

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shoot me a pm. I've got several engines about to go to scrap if you need a cover

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heck I think I still have a set of chrome ones I got from someone on here.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
yep from me. lol that's why I am looking for rust free. I want to do another set, and try and get them smooth this time.

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yari, how did you get the nut thats right behind the fuel fillter bracket for the passenger side valve cover?

To me it looks like the best approach would be to undue the bolts that hold the fuel filter bracket on the engine , but on my truck (serp setup) it seems like if I un do those 3 bolts under the alternator (looks like there the bolts that hold the fuel filter bracket in place) would drop b/c those bolts also support the alternator

The book says to just remove the fuel filter itself but doing that doesnt seem like itll give me the clearance I need.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i got a set of valve covers great shape too

for the bolts behind the fuel filter i just cut down the bracket and relocated the filter

now its a 10 min job to do the valve cover

i had a set powder coated and used the gasser load spreaders with right stuff and it sealed like a champ

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol I like your way , unfortunately I dont have the know how or skills to relocate my fuel filter

by load spreaders do you mean those weird little tabs that stick out towards the intake? Or are you talking about those big weird shaped washer looking things that sit on the lip of the valve cover?

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Finally got my stupid valve cover to stop leaking. Or at least it seems. I took everything off again the other day and cleaned the hell out of everything. I wiped and wiped the head with mineral spirits, then i sanded it, then i wire wheeled it, then sanded it, then degreased until nothing came off anymore. Did the same to the valve cover, hamered it straight best i could again.

Next I put RTV all over the sealing surface on the head, didn't really care if it got rocker arms at this point, still tried to keep them clean though. Figured it any gets in there, the oil filter will catch it.

Then i put RTV all over the valve cover, installed the rubber gasket, then put RTV all over that too. Then i put it on, bolted it down to about finger tight then waiting about 15-20 minutes, then wrenched it down pretty tight with a small ratchet and wrench.

Ran a good while a day later after it all dried and no leaks so far. Finally... I think it's been leaking for about 10 years now at varying degrees of leakiness, hah. On the good side, the van and engine are all rust proof on that side now.

wildman7798

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The times I have had sealing issues, especially with water and oil areas. Or areas with dis-similar metals - like aluminum and iron. Break out the "Right Stuff" - has never once failed to get the job done when other sealers couldn't. It does have a big price tag but can save a lot of re-do's when needed. It is all about surface prep as well. Glad to hear the leak is solved.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
same got right stuff on my valve covers first time ive seen that motor without oil leaking from the valve covers

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most valve cover leak problems come from tightening the cover bolts to much, torque is only 6 Ft Lbs,. Then, some don't know to use the the flat washers to spread the bolt load, that causes the bolt holes to bend in (distort).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online