Going intercooled?

Leadfoot

Reaction score
I have a 1990 2wd reg cab. Is it worth the time and expense to go intercooled if I am going to continue to run the Getrag? If I go intercooled what Hp and Tq increases am I looking at and will the Getrag hold it? Thanks, Doug

rubberfish

Reaction score
If all you do is add the IC, I don't know that you'll see and feel
any power increase at all. The IC does not add power.
However, if egt's are an issue because of bombs,
then the intercooler will help you maintain full
power by helping to keep the charged air cool.
Once you compress the intake air with the turbo
it heats up. So it won't add, but can help with
power dropping off due to high temps at WOT.
Hope this helps,,,, if not,,, :sorry:

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I agree fully with Bob - the intercooler by it's self does not add power but it allows you to stay in the throttle longer giving you the FEEL that you have more power.

Leadfoot

Reaction score
Thank you both very much. I live in south texas where it can get a little warm. I also own a 2004 dodge cummins pick-up, on a hot summer day with the truck running I can feel at least a 20 degree difference between the warm and cool side of the intercooler (passenger vs. driver sides). So, will this 20 degree decrease in inlet temp add Hp?

Whit

Reaction score
No it still wont add horse power, the intercooler will basically cool the hot air that was charged before it enters the intake manifold before combustion.

Cheers, Kevin

Leadfoot

Reaction score
thanks for the info. I did sign up on cummins forum.com as leadfoot

BigNorm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could anyone recomend what they believe is the best intercooler to buy?

BigNorm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
argve said:
Norm,

I would just see about picking up a used IC from a 2nd gen truck at the junk yard.
You are speaking my language argve! I don't mean to sound stupid but a 2nd Gen truck would be 94+? or would it be earlier. Thanx for the help.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Yep... 94 and up... They are referred to as 2nd gens because that's the 2nd generation of the Cummins Diesel not the 2nd gen of the truck...

moparmike91

Moparmike91
Reaction score
well to put an end to it yes intercoolers add more hp they lower combustion temps, the whole purpose of the intercooler is to lower temp of the compressed air charge,,which in turn is a denser aircharger therefore the cooler denser air makes for a more compressed aircharge,,these trucks have more torque and more horsepower,,im in process of installing a larger intercooler off an 06 cummins with all tubes and intake snorkle,,the reasone why they changed to intercooler was overheating problem on 1st gens ppl like airco or banks give scientific numbers on how it work techically,, and yes ive seen dyno results on adding intercooler to your truck it does make more power,, at our shop we have installed lots of these upgrades to older trucks,,,ist gens are 88 to 93,,2nd are 94 to 98 1/2 3rd are 98 1/2 to 02 4th gens are common rail thx

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7