Go taller?

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
I've got a hot deal on a 3" shackle reverse kit but I'm not sure if I want it.. It's not an issue of if I can do it, but if I can afford tires that'll look good under 10" of lift on a daily driver. And whether it's really necessary. I'm running 37s now and I like a lot of wheel well clearance but if I put 3 more inches of lift under and went to 37" toyos on 17s or bigger do you think it'd still look alright? My uncle has a crew cab with 6" suspension, 5" shackle reverse and he cleared 44s (he's running wide 38s now). 37s aren't much shorter than 38s, just a lot skinnier. Do you think it'd look funny being so tall and only being on 13.50 wide tires? I don't care about difficulty getting in, I'm 21 and don't mind hopping up a bit to get in my rig (I already do)

Here's how it sits now.. it just seems short to me already. i dont feel like it really stands out. definitely not like my uncles truck

You must be registered for see images attach

bigpanda16

Reaction score
I'd say you're looking frat boy enough as it is.
It is your truck, you should do what makes you happy.
Your mileage will get worse the higher up and bigger tire you go.
How deep are the mud holes you frequent?
Or is it to get over mall speed humps...

sandrow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"I had a 93 that I put 17" beautiful mag truck rims "new 950$" got em with eby neby rubber on em for 350. The part that sucks is twofold first I was stock so they rubbed my springs when I turned sharp and if you build your truck too high iy becomes a danger on sidehills lousy roads and turns at speed. It may look cool but it ain,t worth dyin over. Thats my advice I live in western MT in the mountians. By the way those mags are for sale!!!!!

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
I'd say you're looking frat boy enough as it is.
It is your truck, you should do what makes you happy.
Your mileage will get worse the higher up and bigger tire you go.
How deep are the mud holes you frequent?
Or is it to get over mall speed humps...

I spend most of my summers on the gravel bar at a local river and at mudding events where spectators have to drive through 2 feet of mud just to watch the real trucks play. Maybe you're some city slicker who doesn't have a use for a lifted truck but don't assume I'm like you. When I drive around downtown college kids yell redneck, not fratboy.

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
"I had a 93 that I put 17" beautiful mag truck rims "new 950$" got em with eby neby rubber on em for 350. The part that sucks is twofold first I was stock so they rubbed my springs when I turned sharp and if you build your truck too high iy becomes a danger on sidehills lousy roads and turns at speed. It may look cool but it ain,t worth dyin over. Thats my advice I live in western MT in the mountians. By the way those mags are for sale!!!!!

how wide are the wheels? and I'm not worried about curvy roads, tbh my truck felt like it would roll more before the lift and f super duty rear springs. With the stiff suspension it doesn't give in the corners, and I don't take it very fast around corners, dont see any point in taking the risk

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love how your truck sits right now. It looks perfect to me. I have a 3" body lift on mine right now to clear the down pipe and plan on adding a 4" suspension with either some 35s or 37s depending on the price. I just like the functionality of that height. Its tall enough to stand out but not to tall that it makes it hard to get under low overhangs. But again that's just my preference.

sandrow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CITY SLICKER? WHERE THE HELL DID THAT COME FROM??? Are we grumpy? Christ I live in the mountains of western MT NOT l friggin A. I work my trucks hard and am on dirt more than Pavement snow 2 to 3 1/2 FEET deep spring it's gumbo clay and workin in the woods.

The tires are 11" if I remember correctly 285 75 17's you can get way wider and taller if you want too I want 250 for the set.

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
sandrow, i was talking to bigpanda who was stereotyping lifted tricks as being something frat boys drive and that all my truck is gonna see is speed bumps. obviously neither are true.

i'd possibly be interested in your wheels if they're 10" wide, but shipping from WV to MO would kill me. not putting the lift on yet (if i do so) anyways.

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
I love how your truck sits right now. It looks perfect to me. I have a 3" body lift on mine right now to clear the down pipe and plan on adding a 4" suspension with either some 35s or 37s depending on the price. I just like the functionality of that height. Its tall enough to stand out but not to tall that it makes it hard to get under low overhangs. But again that's just my preference.

if price is a concern, these military radials are cheap and are good for 30k miles or so. not the best looking sidewalls and they dont clear mud very well, but they do alright.

my truck feels small now that i've been riding in my uncles lol i wouldn't mind going just a little higher with mine, just dont know how 37s would look

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look at the michein xml. I love mine and when sores down they crawl through anything. I just wish I we're a bit taller to make getting in easier

RANOVRU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My .02, your truck looks good like it is. I wouldnt want anything any bigger but I guess Im just getting old.

I will say, if you go higher a 37 will not look proportional like it does now. Youll need bigger tires imo.

pennsylvaniabo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No offense but i dont see much point in taking a 1 ton truck that high. but then again my gets used to tow, tow, tow tow. There is no way i could go bigger, but its all you.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Just a FYI, you are probably pretty close to being illegal now. I am sure any higher and you WILL be illegal. Dont know if the cops are picky out there or not.

MAx bumper height is 29" for front bumper 30" for rear. And that is to the bottom of the bumper

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin