GM 14blt rear axles?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ford Sterling 10.25/10.5
1.50" axle shaft dia. 35 splines
Mfg. Output Torque Rating:
10.25 8300 ft.lbs. short duration/2000 ft. lbs continuous, gross axle wt. rating 8250 lbs.
10.5 10,660 ft. lbs short duration/2900 ft. lbs continuous, gross axle wt. rating 9750 lbs
AAM 11.50 Gen.II 14 Bolt
1.43" axle shaft dia. 30 splines
8333 ft. lbs. GM application, gross axle wt. rating 6500 lbs SRW GM application
GM 10.50 Rear 14 Bolt
1.50 axle shaft dia. 30 splines
6242 ft. lbs. (max), gross axle wt. rating 5700-8600 lbs.

The above information is taken directly from my differential "bible", Differentials, Identification, Restoration and Repair by Jim Allen and Randy Lyman.

Thanks for that clear concise info a d reference from which it came. I had read simiar previously...and could not recall where hence make 14 bolters substantiate their claims :sly as opposed to offer mine.:rotflmao

I still say damn 1r bolt has way more aftermarket support and options and bottom line is clearly a proven design that works and works well.

Damn tone ringz....

JM10.25CW

manimal

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So what makes the sterling that much "stronger"? is it the 35spline vs 30spline? Doesnt make much sense.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have not seen a street driven light duty truck exceed the torque ratings on either of the rearends.

IMO, if i was 2 wd and needed to install a rearend, and i had both of these layin around i would choose the 14 bolt.

that pinion nut deal on the sterling still leaves that smell in my nose of burnt gear fluid.

manimal

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not that I need a rear end, I just have 3 14blts at the moment and was curious if I should hand onto one or not. I really dont think my na 6.9 is going to do any damage to my D70 any time soon, but ya never know!

Black dawg

Reaction score
On the G80 (gov loc) thing, it is the 10 bolts (and stupid drivers) that give the the g80 a bad name. In the semi float 14 bolt(9.5 ring gear) it is a pretty good piece, and in the FF14 bolt (big ring gear) it is very good.

I personally have seen a few FF 14 bolt failures, and it was the pinion support bearing failing and crudding up the rest of the works. It appears like in trucks that are lightly loaded, that bearing (roller with no preload other than pinion deflection) the pinion surface that the support bearing rides on gets rough and bearing ends up coming apart (seen rollers run through ring and pinion).

Even if the FF14 was a little stronger than the 10.25, the easily removable drums wins it for me.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not that I need a rear end, I just have 3 14blts at the moment and was curious if I should hand onto one or not. I really dont think my na 6.9 is going to do any damage to my D70 any time soon, but ya never know!
other than going for a deep swim with the truck and not changing the oils afterwards, would you kill a D70. if you have FF14bolts sitting around doing nothing, put them on CL and sell them for $$$.
that would be what I would do.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
other than going for a deep swim with the truck and not changing the oils afterwards, would you kill a D70. if you have FF14bolts sitting around doing nothing, put them on CL and sell them for $$$.
that would be what I would do.
I'm with him on this. Like I mentioned, we're replacing a Sterling with a D70. The axle weight rating was actually higher on the Dana than the Sterling, by 200 lbs IIRC. I suspect that has to do with the springs more than anything else, but still, point is that it's no weak axle by any means. Make some money off what you don't really need, fund something else on the truck that actually could use an upgrade.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is one and one reason only to toss 14b in...has a matching gearset if yer a 4x truck...and...AND...has a factory detroit locker in it....

Use what ya go...check it out thoroughly change lube make sure vent is clear and seal it up.

Bobs yer uncle

manimal

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you ALL for the info an opinions. I think I will sell the 14blts and use that money for a ZF-5!