GM 14blt rear axles?

Black dawg

Reaction score
Dont know what it will take to run it, but I will let you know after I get this one in. The tall 1st and reverse in a zf is worthless to me the way I use my truck. The early 4500 is like 6.55 first gear.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Or you could find a sae 2 adapter and run a medium duty transmission.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dont know what it will take to run it, but I will let you know after I get this one in. The tall 1st and reverse in a zf is worthless to me the way I use my truck. The early 4500 is like 6.55 first gear.
Regear your ZF! First 5.72 is what the big-block stuff got (and a slightly taller OD to boot), it's a direct swap in the diesel case. Guess how I know that :D

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Or you could find a sae 2 adapter and run a medium duty transmission.
Unless he hauls/tows heavy, IMHO it's not worth the time and money. MDT parts are generally not cheap, and clutches can be a royal mess to sort out. I'd only put that much effort into it if we're talking something like a 10-speed transmission, and it's going into a truck that actually needs or at least could make use of that many gears (think a heavy camper loaded in the bed with an offroad toy on a carhauler hanging off the bumper, or a big goose/5er back there).

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Really, I will admit I don't know a ton about MDT stuff but the clutches seemed somewhat simple. Match the input shaft spline and diameter to the clutch diameter you are running. A 14 inch clutch set was about 250 for the whole thing at a international dealer.

I have seen MDT in the classifieds for the same or cheaper than our truck transmission prices and you seem to be able to easily buy most bearings or gears individually for not to much.

It would be more work you have to track down an sea 2 adapter and most are all 2x4 but they are built much stronger.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is also the push vs. pull type clutch, and hydro vs. mechanical, and depending on the transmission in question you may want/need either a clutch brake or countershaft brake setup. But yes, I do see your point about the overall value, and I generally do I agree with you (based on a 6610 swap where an Allison used to live). Our RTO was clean and low-mileage (relatively) and exactly the type/model we wanted and came from a truck with known meaintenance, IIRC it cost us about what a good-condition 4x4 ZF5 would run in post places that have a shortage of them but again this particular unit was worth the asking price and then some. Still, you really gotta know what you're buying - often even the seller doesn't know for sure what exactly they have (for example there is more than one 5-speed MDT type out there) and after years or road grime and mud and rust them things can get a bit hard to ID properly. And after all is said and done you still gotta do fab work cause of the mounts and all that... Don't take me wrong, personally I'd do it in a heartbeat if the right conditions are met, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend that everyone else should also jump on that bandwagon if they get the chance to.