Glow Plugs

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
What do you guru's think of these glow plugs? They are made by WAP I have looked around here and they are pretty expensive to buy at Ford and International. I know to stay away from autolites (although there was another post that tested them, and they were tough as nails apparently!) because the tips swell and break off.

If these plugs are no good, Is there anyone on here that supplies them? I would rather buy from an Oilburners.net member than pay out to a larger company.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most of these guys around here are against anything but Motorcraft and I have to agree with them after my past experiences.
Dont buy them from a dealer, I found a few places online that have Motorcraft plugs for as low as 9 bucks a piece.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Really?! $9 bucks a piece is definitly WAY more affordable than what I am finding...$22 a piece at the Ford stealership.

Where do you buy your plugs at?

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can get Motorcraft/Beru's for $10.00 each.
Others know of some mail order places/links for the same price + shipping.
I'm sure they will post.

I've NEVER had any issues with champions...and used them for well over a decade.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rock Auto, i got 8 new glow plugs for 9 bucks a piece instead of 22 at ford. They were very fast too

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really?! $9 bucks a piece is definitly WAY more affordable than what I am finding...$22 a piece at the Ford stealership.

Where do you buy your plugs at?

The place I saw them was dieselfiltersonline.com They are 9.99 a piece.

Black dawg

Reaction score
never had any luck with those plugs in any application. If using the stock controller you will have the best luck with motorcraft/beru.

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought 3 Motorcraft/Berus at O'reilly's today for $14/piece - I only need one but I usually like to have a couple spares when I can find them. I called all over and no one carried Motorcraft...only Autolite, Champions and Bosch I think it was. I had even stopped by the Stealership and they are going to have one waiting for me in the morning....price......$25 and change for one! :eek: Needless to say I won't be picking it up but I had them to get it cuz at the time I hadn't called O'reilly's yet. Anyway if you need em right away O'reilly's does carry them. ;Sweet

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
What do you guys think of Bosch plugs? This price seems too good to be true. My local auto parts supplier ONLY carries this brand...Canadian Tire that is. Ford wants almost that much for ONE Motorcraft!

I am going with the push button mod too....the factory controller burns the plugs out for some reason..I think it's sticking on. Can I run 12v directly to these things with the push button? Or should I leave the resistor in place?

hayisforhorses

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey I just replaced autolites not working for beru out of dieselfilters on line 95 canadian
I think it was I shipped to maine and picked them up as I likve in a bordertown

Hybrid455

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK I know I'm going against the grain because I've read a lot of discontent where Bosch glow plugs are concerned but that is what I am running, I was sceptical and tried them in my non-turbo first. It's on a toggle switch. Their service was super and the glow plugs were great so I got another set for the turbo truck. They are also doing great. I have a later model updated solid state system in this truck. The price is right...and you won't believe it's for a set of 8. ck it out

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160323203132&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Decent! I bought 2 sets of the Bosch plugs for 65 shipped....if they dont last no biggie...I haven't read any posts on the Bosch's swelling up.

I've been using the juice to start my truck since last year...I still have the same damn can I bought when I bought the truck...it takes about a 1/4 to a 1/2 second shot into the air cleaner to make these trucks fire up.

I have a complete GP relay and controller in perfect condition on my spare IDI engine, I plan on installing that into the truck and modding the system for push button plugs...sometimes you don't even need them to light off, like when she;s already warmed up so why bother cycling them on the factory controller if I don't have to right? I know they won't cycle for the full duration, but why cycle at all if she's warm or at operating temperature?

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
OK I know I'm going against the grain because I've read a lot of discontent where Bosch glow plugs are concerned but that is what I am running, I was sceptical and tried them in my non-turbo first. It's on a toggle switch. Their service was super and the glow plugs were great so I got another set for the turbo truck. They are also doing great. I have a later model updated solid state system in this truck. The price is right...and you won't believe it's for a set of 8. ck it out

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160323203132&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Those are the ones I bought...2 sets for like $65 Canadian delivered to my door! I haven't read anything on them swelling up when they burn out though.