Glow Plug Solutions from Classic Diesel Designs

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Greetings Oilburners! Today I am happy to announce another new product from Classic Diesel Designs, our manual glow plug conversion kits, and our replacement glow plug harness. Our conversion kits use an industrial 12v 200a (600a inrush) White Rodgers relay, which is mechanically rated for 100,000 uses (more info HERE). Here is a White Rodgers relay next to a stock 7.3 gp relay:

You must be registered for see images attach

This conversion kit replaces all of the stock wiring for the glow plugs, and relocates the relay next to the fender mounted starter solenoid, away from engine heat and vibration. Everything you need to make this conversion is included, all you will need to add are eight ZD9 glow plugs and a pushbutton of your choice mounted in the cab (rated for 5 amp minimum). All of the glow plug wiring is premade, wiring for the pushbutton and fuse tap is included along with installation instructions to help simplify the installation. This is a great upgrade for 83-86 6.9 owners who want to eliminate the notorious screw in controllers and is a good solution for those who want to turbo their na truck, but dont want to deal with modifying the stock harnesses to relocate the stock controller away from the turbo.

Our replacement glow plug harness keeps the 7.3 controller in its na location, but replaces the 20+ year old wiring and connectors with a harness with marine heat shrinked bullet connectors and hydraulically crimped relay connectors. Built to hold up to years of heat and vibration and to help get all those amps from your glow plug controller to your glow plugs reliably.

For now until February 1st our replacement harnesses are $35 shipped within continental USA, and our manual glow plug conversion kits for $135 shipped. International shipping is available, depending on your location there may be a small additional shipping fee. As with all our products, there is a 10% discount for our military and emergency responders! Thank you again for your continued support here on OBN!

-Wes

MrStretch

Reaction score
I’m fighting my glow plug system right now. I’m not much of a mechanic so my understanding of the controller is limited. Can you explain what the controller does when you have the manual system installed? How do I prove my first responder status to get my 17.00 discount? ;-)

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m fighting my glow plug system right now. I’m not much of a mechanic so my understanding of the controller is limited. Can you explain what the controller does when you have the manual system installed? How do I prove my first responder status to get my 17.00 discount? ;-)

The 7.3 controller reads the resistance of the glow plugs to determine how long to cycle the plugs, eliminating that controller for a push button control means you only have the glow plugs active when you are pushing down the button, usually about 5-10 seconds when cold starting. This style eliminates the controller completely, and the push button is the controller now simplifying the system a lot.

The replacement harness keeps the controller setup like stock, but just replaces the harness between the controller and the glowplugs. The conversion kit eliminates the controller and replaces every bit of the glow plug wiring. So you really only need to buy one or the either, depending on if you want to keep the stock controller or not.

To get the 10% discount you will need to send me a picture or copy of your fire fighter/police etc ID next to your driver’s license. The billing address will need to match the address on your ID. You can send me a pm here or shoot me an email at [email protected]

MrStretch

Reaction score
Just dropped you an email. Also re-read your post and now I think I understand you have two different setups. I definitely want to replace the controller completely.

-Marlin.

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dumb ? Here what if we wanted the conversion kit + a trusted set of zd9 plugs would that be possible, just thinking outside the box.

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does that glow plug harness would work with the OEM glow plug relay / controller? I've been thinking of freshening up my glow plug wires, but I don't want to replace my relay or controller yet.

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I picked up zd9’s off amazon for something like 9.00ea.

Was just a idea was all @Thewespaul is a business guy figured it was a option as well but yeah zd9's are eBay Amazon n such if I need new ones my lil brother is district manager at advance Auto where I live

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will be relocating the GP relay in my e250 to install the turbo kit that I have. I was not looking forward to having to build a harness. This looks like it should eliminate all that. So the $135 includes the relay, harness and all the wiring.....correct? All I would need is a 5A push button?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dumb ? Here what if we wanted the conversion kit + a trusted set of zd9 plugs would that be possible, just thinking outside the box.
I can’t get the zd9s for any cheaper than anyone else, so I opted to make this just about the wiring to save people some money so they aren’t having to pay for a markup on the zf9s.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does that glow plug harness would work with the OEM glow plug relay / controller? I've been thinking of freshening up my glow plug wires, but I don't want to replace my relay or controller yet.
The $35 harness replaces the stock wiring between the controller and the glow plugs, so the controller stays in the stock location, it just replaces the crumbly connectors and wiring that go to the glow plugs so you have a good, solid connection.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will be relocating the GP relay in my e250 to install the turbo kit that I have. I was not looking forward to having to build a harness. This looks like it should eliminate all that. So the $135 includes the relay, harness and all the wiring.....correct? All I would need is a 5A push button?
That is correct, just need the bullet style glow plugs and a good push button switch in the cab. The relay will mount on the fender and draw power from the hot side of the starter solenoid. One small wire will go from the solenoid into the cab and hook up to one side of the push button, the other side of the push button will go to a fuse tap for an ignition source. Two wires come off relay on the output side and go to each bank of glowplugs.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Wes I am interested in a wiring harness. How do go about getting it from you?
Shoot me a pm, or an email at classicdieseldesigns@gmail.com and I will get your shipping info, I’ll put together an invoice that will go to your email and you can either use card to pay with a link through quick books, or you can pay with PayPal. Once I have payment the parts will hit the mail and you’ll get an email with your tracking info.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86