Glow plug resistance

Oldiron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to quickly verify. With Glow plugs installed and harness removed, one test lead to battery neg and the other on glow plug, I am getting 1 ohm on all 4 drivers side and .8- .9 on pass side.

If I remeber correctly these would be good? Normaly I would test when they are removed, but I installed them less then a year ago.

Truck starts, but I have to hold the button for much longer then I expected. And it doesnt fire until about the 2nd time I try..

I'm going to verify that all conectors have power going to them. What voltage should I expect to see?

Philip1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe anything under 2 ohms is good, for voltage, it should be battery voltage or extremely close

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hard to say I usually just hit them with a test light. What brand of plugs?

On pushbutton I could start my prior engine in 5-7 seconds depending on weather with Bosch plugs. With beru plugs it was damn near double. New engine I still give it about 8-10 depending on conditions, time sitting etc

Oldiron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm running motorcraft. And that's what I'm getting, about 15 sec. I'm worried about burning them out if I hold longer. Is there a self regulating glow plug that wont burn out?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
15 seconds is about twice as long as what is recommended for those glow plugs unless temps are extremely low...

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Self regulating? Not as far as I know. You pretty much have two choices to sum it up:

Ones that get too hot and ones that don't get hot enough.

15 is too much for beru true, you either have air intrusion or all 8 plugs aren't glowing... or terrible compression. when it starts does it stumble?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726