Glow Plug Leaks

Revelstoke

Reaction score
Hey, looking at replacing glow plugs, as I just bought this truck and I don't know what's in there. Don't want them getting too bad. I noticed the other night that I've got a leak around one (perhaps more) of my glow plugs. Got some water on it, and it bubbled at a steady rate. How do I seal the new ones? Antisieze work? Certainly not a thread sealer? Input welcome at this point.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I coat mine with a good antiseize before they go into the head....a little $$ now saves me a lot of $$ later if I need to tear the head off to get a busted glow plug out.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Near the bottom of the threads you will find the beveled seat that meets the same area in the heads. That tiny seat is all that seals the plugs in the heads. The threads only pull it into the heads and has nothing to do with actual sealing precess. Only install ford motorcraft zd 9 glow plugs in any idi. The 6.9 motors can use the same but you need to change the glow plug controller to the 7.3 solid state controller...:sly

Revelstoke

Reaction score
Yes, I ordered Motorcraft, ZD9's only. No sense bothering with cheaper and taking out my engine. I'm not sure what the torque specs are, but I'll be sure and torque them right. Hoping they don't leak then.