Glow plug controller questions

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
Ok thanks. That makes more sense. My connectors are pretty corroded, so I will have to clean those up and see if that helps. It's probably not a big deal that it's not working, but I like things to work properly.

Desertrig

Reaction score
Ahh to start a new thread or hijack poor op's while he's off busting knuckles. The title's right so here goes. Off the back of the gpc there are two yellow wires that go to the main harness connector (toward the blower motor) corresponding to a black brown and a black orange. Both blacks are always hot and the b/b wire runs to the starter solenoid/relay. Yellows ohm to .8. If I connect black to yellow they want to catch fire. Everything seems to work fine when they're disconnected - the glow plugs work. I'm a little confused. I originally found at least one of blacks pushed out of the connector and thought I was fixin' it good.... Just run those disconnected and cap the blacks? Lucky I caught it or I might need a few new harnesses....

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought the two yellows stayed yellow most of the way till they got to the fusible links over at the starter relay. These are the main power wires that feed all the amperage to the glowplugs. The harness plug you are talking about likes to melt. so most people bypass these two yellow wires around this plug.

Desertrig

Reaction score
Finally found some stuff online about replacing the two yellows with a 6 gauge. Looked at the 92 and it was already done. Not only that, the 6 gauge is the only wire going to the passenger side (and the tach, fipl harness..). The injector wires run back and then under the master cyclinder to the main harness.... The part that boggled my mind is the engine was slightly warm and just cranked, but fired after waiting to start - with no power...??....

7.3 man

7.3 idi man
Reaction score
Id replace it. :) Along with Glow plugs. This is what I did on mine and it works great. :)
You must be registered for see images attach
Along with a button two years with no issues. :)

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
I'm going to steal my thread back for a moment to update...Got the new ZD9's in and all the Autolite's out safely. I re-insulated some of the wires with heat shrink... and ****! it works as it should. The truck has had a weird vibration since those autolites were installed and that seems to have gone away, although I'm not sure if it's coincidence. The truck still smokes a little on start-up, but it doesn't bellow smoke and it doesn't miss. I can barely hit the starter and it comes to life. It's a nice feeling. Also, thanks for helping me out everyone!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online

No members online now.