Getting hotter and hotter

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
https://www.shop.perma-cool.com/2840-Spin-On-Adapter-1-1-2-16-thread-2840.htm

This works, but it won't thread on far enough (at least on my truck to totally seal with the o-ring they give you. If you use a thick o-ring that comes with a normal oil filter and leave that tiny one in the picture in the groove (or don't, I don't think it matters) it will mate up perfectly. Since you never have to take the thing off, after I tightened it down I put some grey RTV around the o-ring. Never leaked a drop for me.

The big filter O-ring trick doesn't make me feel sketched out by doing this either, as it mates to a flat surface on both sides and doesn't come into contact with the groove on base of the remote mount and you can definitely get it plenty tight that way.

This is where I got the base for using that giant donaldson filter to mount under the frame rail..

https://aviaid.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/hp4-fil-mnt-w-reg.htm

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@BrianX128 , I often forget that idi's and psd's won't clear the same filters haha. A 7405 goes right on a psd, as does an lf9691 (my filter of choice), neither of which will clear the oil pan or frame on an idi.

The reason I was curious is because the wix 51792xe has the correct thread pitch/size, a (iirc)5 micron absolute full flow rating, cost half of what either of the above mentioned filters do, and makes the 7405 look absolutely tiny. The filter alone probably holds almost 2 litres. Problem is it's like 1/4" too large a diameter even for the psd.

I looked all over for these parts thinking it my solution, thank you.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That ELF Donaldson I'm using is 7 nominal and 15 absolute, slightly worse nominal but about the best absolute I could find with the right thread pitch. It's still almost a foot tall as well.

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a great filter for sure, I've used them in the past, and especially when compared to the options that are listed at a parts store. But even at nearly a foot long and 15 micron absolute, that wix thing was a whole different level. Where the Donaldson is almost a foot and about 4" dia, the wix is like 13" long and nearly 6" dia. Hopefully I can find a safe place to mount it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online