Getting another one. Need 4X4 changeover advice

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Greetings one and all.
The first one to show up was an '87 F250 with a 6.9 idi, no turbo. I have reworked the truck and as I was in the final stages of replacing the entire A/C system and am now about to fill it with R134a, The wife informed me that she desires a faster one wire diesel.
While I do like the super cab, I am leaning towards the crew cab with an automatic just to make it easier to drive.
We did find a crew cab '94 F350 7.3 turbo with 126K absolutely clean and straight about 4-1/2 hours north of us and after a 4-1/2 hour one way trip it turned out to be a start and die in the parking lot.
Not easily deterred, I had them put some diesel into the near empty tank and still had a no start upon the start of our 4-1/2 hour trip home.
The salesman was apologetic and "It ran great yesterday, etc" and we departed. I called him the next day and was told that 20 minutes after we left, it fire up and ran good.
Not desiring another 9 hour trip, and being slightly mechanically inclined, we are in the process of transferring funds and will have it towed home.
I figure at 125K, the fuel pump needs to be replaced regardless of anything else just to begin with.
The BIGGEST issue with this truck is that I desire to convert it to 4X4.
The big question right now is, what 4X4's can interchange with this truck for a parts swap?
Thanks in advance!!

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would use a 1985.5-1998 f350 4x4 for parts.

YJMike92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The best match would be a 92-97 f350 diesel. That would be the closest to your truck. I plan to do the same conversion. My donor trucks are a 91 f350 and a 93 f250. Obviously, I don't follow my own advice

SebastIDIan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Many ways to skin this cat.
If I were to do it again, I'd go with the super duty leaf springs and if money wasn't an issue then 2005+ coil sprung axle is what I'd use.

Would 2+ish inches of lift be a deal breaker? Rsk's are supposed to ride better and are easier to mount than oem 4wd brackets, hangers etc imo

iirc you'll need an axle(s), leafs (or coils and their corresponding buckets and control arms) spring hangers and brackets, tracbar and bracket. Donor pitman arm or aftermarket drop pitman arm, driveshafts, transfer case, 4WD transmission, rear lift blocks depending on what front axle or lift you use and a ton of beer (optional :cheers: )

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online