Gear vendors ?

dukedrummer89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive got a diesel zf5 and t-case on ebay, a guy emailed me and offered a trade for 4x4 c6 trans with a gear vendors overdrive with it...

From a quick search on here, I found that gear vendors od units mount on the back of the t-case, and it doesn't matter what transmission it uses (zf or c6)? Wanted to confirm this. Also, does a gear vendors split gears? or does it just add an extra overdrive gear?

Id like to put one on my twin turbo cummins f150:D Im running a 12v/zf5/1356, 3.55's and 35s... Id love to drop the highway rpms to 14-1500... its got the torque to do it, after all its just a lil reg cab shortbed. I can pull 20mpg with my foot out of it, but the more mpg's the better

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
DO eeeit!

well provided the GV is working, you can sell JUST that for more than a zf and transfer case combined.

and yes, you can split gears with it.

Maverick1701

Full Access Member
Reaction score
. Also, does a gear vendors split gears? or does it just add an extra overdrive gear?

The GV does both.....can split gears, has OD And double OD

I say do it...you can always resell the GV and make a pretty penny or flaunt it and make everyone on OB fraught with jealousy

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
just make sure that it has the adapter for a T Case, and not a C6 adapter. Then it will bolt on to your tcase. If not you have to buy the $700.00 adapter.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
just make sure that it has the adapter for a T Case, and not a C6 adapter. Then it will bolt on to your tcase. If not you have to buy the $700.00 adapter.

And if the thing doesn't have ANY adapter, you are completely boned because GV will not sell you an adapter outright. you have to TRADE them in your old adapter for that $700 price tag. They want it as proof that you have a GV unit and are not attempting to make your own GV unit out of a standard Laycock OD our of a 740 Volvo ( just another one of the many reasons I would never own a Gearvendors :backoff I do like my Brownie :D

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And if the thing doesn't have ANY adapter, you are completely boned because GV will not sell you an adapter outright. you have to TRADE them in your old adapter for that $700 price tag. They want it as proof that you have a GV unit and are not attempting to make your own GV unit out of a standard Laycock OD our of a 740 Volvo ( just another one of the many reasons I would never own a Gearvendors :backoff I do like my Brownie :D
there's other sellers on fleabay who will sell you an adapter housing. but you must make sure you get the shaft coupler and whatever assorted parts needed to hook everything up.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
there's other sellers on fleabay who will sell you an adapter housing. but you must make sure you get the shaft coupler and whatever assorted parts needed to hook everything up.

At least that's nice someone is working around GVs scam so folks dont get stuck. I'd still be hesitant to ever use one of those things on a truck, I've had to service too many of the factory Laycock units on the Volvos and amd just a little too familiar with their weaknesses

dukedrummer89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I talked to him about it today

Its out of an 1988, the gear vendors is attached at the back at the t-case. Would that be a 1356 or 1345 t-case? Should work either way correct?

He has all the wiring with it as well.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
I would say go for it, A ZF5 is worth bout 600 to 800, a Gearvendors is worth 800 to 1200. It would drop your highway cruising RPM's buy 500.