Gear vendors on a 4x4 crewcab???

fiverpuller

Lizard Limo
Reaction score
It doesn't look there is room to me...about 1.5" above the u-joint to cab structure. I remember reading you have to notch the cab to fit a US gear. Anyone install a GV? I have one and am debating if I want/need double od. If I only had 3.55's I would just sell it. I don't think there is any way I would take a sawzall to my cab. cookoo

Attachments

• tailshft.jpg
    tailshft.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 15

beretzs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My GV fit just fine no cutting involved. I have the Crew Cab also. I think you may have to shim out your carrier bearing, but other than that, it should bolt up fairly easily. Scotty

fiverpuller

Lizard Limo
Reaction score
It's just the standard gv...current type. I don't have the adapter yet or I would test fit. I guess it just doesn't look like it will work...but it must. I am just rambling here. cookoo I found some dimensions on the gv site so it looks like if I am at least 4" from output shaft c/l it will fit. Scotty...do you have the 1356 t-case? I would like to go divorced but I haven't got an official quote on the front adapter.

Apparently I can't send an attachment from work so here is the link:
gv dims

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is what my GV looks like hanging on the end of my 1345. Not anywhere close to the cab floor.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
I've got the whole setup....adapter & all. I'll be installing this week coming hopefully & I'll post some pictures. I've read the install instuctions & nothing about cutting the floor.

fiverpuller

Lizard Limo
Reaction score
I measure the bottom of the cab to the c/l of the yoke and it's right at 3". So it looks like it would rub...but not a full collision. Maybe I could lower it some with a shorter tranny mount. Or do a 1" body lift. Or just hammer it a bit to gain clearance. I was wondering if maybe the cab mounts have sacked out a little over the years. The cab looks lined up with the bed...but feels squishy side to side. Sometimes it feels like riding in a freight truck. Who makes cab mounts besides ford?

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
i had a old truck back when i was in highschool that i replaced all the body mounts with a stack of washers... it wasn't for lift or anything, i just didn't have the money to put new ones in it and my truck was saggy, the truck also had one hell of a cam in it and every time it would lope at idle it would shake the holy hell out of everything.. it was quite cool, but i think a diesel might feel like a rolling vibrator without the rubber pads

on another note many many many jeeps have had to lower the drive components to get rid of vibrations.. most of them do it by dropping the tranny crossmember down a bit... i think this would be a easy fix to your problem without a body lift :puke:

beretzs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the 1356 T-case and I have plenty of clearance on top of the GV unit. I will have to get out and take some pics for you tonight. Scotty