Gear Vendors C6 instructions.

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gear Vendors C6 instructions. (all gone wrong)

I just got a GV overdrive from a member here for my 2wd c6 and i am hoping someone around here has a set of installation instructions. From all u understand it's not too difficult, but i do need the specifications for shortening the driveshaft.

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Measure twice and cut once..... Couldn't resist that. On Monday just give Gear Vendors a call. I know they will give that information. After all... Your using their parts and thats more than good advertisement for them...

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wish I wrote it down for you when I did mine. I'll go out and measure mine but mine's a crewcab.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
is your GV a slip yoke or not? if it is, insert the yoke all the way and then pull it out 1 inch. get a helper to hold one end of a tape measure against the pinion yoke and measure to where the yoke is at. measure from the bottom of the "U" to the bottom of the "O" at the furthest points. make sure you tell your driveshaft shop this. IF THE YOKE ON THE GV IS FIXED ignore the above directions. measure from the bottom of the "U" to the bottom of the "U" be sure to tell your driveshaft builder you need a slip joint incorporated into the driveshaft. and hang onto your wallet!!!!!:eek:
TAKE YOUR OWN MEASUREMENTS. never never never depend on someone else's measurements because your truck will very likely be a little longer or shorter.

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i imagined the instructions would have a length to cut out. I mean the one thing that is constant in installs is the GV units so they should be able to tell you how much to shorten the shaft. Either way that was good info Towcat, thank you!

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i've been to the sight several times looking for downloadable instructions. the one thing that does worry me is not having the shims that come with the installation kit, but i am sure i can find a suitable replacement.

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i emailed Gear Vendors the serial number and applicable info about my truck and i will followup with a call tomorrow so i can get the appropriate instructions. Really looking forward to the difference the GV will make.

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would do what I did and bolt it in and measure yourself. Once installed your going to wish you did it awhile ago. It's the second best thing you can do to our era trucks, next to a turbo install. If you have any problems with the operation of the unit post it up. I have rebuilt these and know the common faults with these. Good score at any rate.

The shims are to set the coupler depth on the output shaft of the transmission once the adapter is installed. It needs to be anywhere between 0.005-0.035" and is checked with a feeler gauge and straight edge.

Last edited:

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it came with a driveshaft. i am gonna measure, but i am crossing my fingers that i get really lucky

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the installation has been a n ightmate, and i am not even doing it. I called gearvendors and got bot ha set of instructions and a recomended shop. After reviewing the instruction i decided it was a little beyond me and took the truck to the shop. That was Saturday the 23rd of May. I told hime the GV was a fixed yoke and the driveshaft would have to be modded accordingly. The mechanics say NP. Today is june 3rd, and he called me today saying that there is a part missing for the driveline and that he can't finish the already 1.5week old installation. He says because i had a one piece drive shaft with no center support that he can't do the job, and that he needs to order a part from GV to get it done. Frankly that doesn't make a lot of sense to me since it seems towcat was all over that possibility, but worse is he had opportunity after opportunity to look things over and let me know this before getting half way through the installation. So frustrating, i am going to be without my primary vehicle for 2+ weeks over a voluntary "simplish" install. Argh.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's BS. There are lots of rigs running around with 1 piece drive shafts with a slip yoke. What is this guy smoking? Your getting snookered I'm afraid. ;Really

In fact, I would go down there, and have him SHOW you exactly what the problem is. I think he messed something up and is lying to you to cover his butt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online