Gear Splitters?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
scheid6996 said:
Isnt the US gear gear spliter stronger?
yes it is. it is a mini gearbox compared to the cone and planetary gear setup like a GV. Problem is slushbox drivers forget to lift lightly off the throttle when shifting into OD and the gears get blown out. changed out a few of those due to driver error too. overall tho, I will be getting a USG on the next build unless the GV is dirt cheap. ;p

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well whoever got that one on ebay for 1100 got a great price. Might be speculative to say that the US Gear unit is stronger. Planetary gear sets are known to be more durable. Granted both units probably have design flaws, but the GV unit can be power shifted, where as the US Gear cannot.

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put in a US Gear unit on my 350 dually. Have a GV on my 250. Each has advantages. I see the advantage of the USG as heavy duty towing. The GV is a lighter duty unit that is great for general use, but may be the weak link in the drive train on heavy towing/hauling. The GV shifts a lot smoother.
I still haven't figured out how to shift the USG unit without getting the loud KLUNK when it engages. If any of you geniuses have figured this out, I'd sure like to know.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online