Gear Splitters?

stever8761

Reaction score
While on the subject of transmissions --

Does anyone have any experience with the bolt on gear splitters or maybe called under/overdrives? I think a company called Gearvendors makes one for the Auto trans.

With hoping to move to the mtns in a few years I'm thinking I'll need three things: Turbo, excellent brakes, and the right gears/trans. I'd like to stay with the auto - out of pure laziness. Sticks are fun, but when it comes to everday driving in and around traffic, I'll stay w/ the auto.

Last edited:

CaseyJones

Reaction score
I just bought an 89 F250 4x4, 410 gears, 5speed w/the Gear Vendors Overdrive system in it. I had to drive the truck from NE to SD after picking it up. I can only say that Im pretty happy to have the OD. I notice a significant improvement in hiway MPG and drivability. That 550 mile drive has made a believer out of me. Actually the first 20 miles about did it. If I ever need to replace the truck the overdrive is staying with me!!!

I dont know how well it works w/the automatic. I always thought to myself if I lived in a place where traffic was so bad it became impractical to have a clutch than I would move :puke: hehehe. Here in the Black Hills of SD there are few cities and lots of hills and open road. I am delighted to have it!!!

I do know that they are sold for auto and stick alike. I have yet to hear anything negative about them. The one I have was installed 75K miles ago by orig. owner and still works flawlessly. I dont think you will be dissapointed if you see much hiway use. Good luck

Tony

stever8761

Reaction score
I would love to see the that area of SD - have to plan that as one of our trips!

What I understand (only from looking at the web, http://www.gearvendors.com/ )with the auto's it is actually like adding a half gear after each stock gear - thus turning a 4 speed into an 8 speed! And by bringing the overdrive ratio even lower I'm thinking I could go to a 5.13 or 5.38 rear gear from a 4.10.

Last edited:

beretzs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have one and it has worked great, good OD for the automatic and excellent hill pulling power. Scotty

beretzs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still have it... It is still attached to the truck and everything else, but it still is mine. Scotty

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CaseyJones said:
I just bought an 89 F250 4x4, 410 gears, 5speed w/the Gear Vendors Overdrive system in it. I had to drive the truck from NE to SD after picking it up. I can only say that Im pretty happy to have the OD. I notice a significant improvement in hiway MPG and drivability. That 550 mile drive has made a believer out of me. Actually the first 20 miles about did it. If I ever need to replace the truck the overdrive is staying with me!!!
I've got the same basic setup...4 wheel drive, 4.10's and a 5 speed. I want to add an OD unit (although I'd prefer the U.S. Gear unit so I can use it in 4 wheel as well), but have been curious as to the real-world mileage gains. What sore of highway fuel economy are you seeing?

BTW, with my setup, I'm seeing aobut 17 mpg in regular freeway driving, but have broken 20 on a straight freeway run at 55mph the whole way. That's up from 13 to 14 when I had the 4 speed :shocked:

Thanks!

Joe Mc

Reaction score
stever8761 said:
turning a 4 speed into an 8 speed! And by bringing the overdrive ratio even lower I'm thinking I could go to a 5.13 or 5.38 rear gear from a 4.10.
What type of mountains are you looking at and how much weight are you planning to pull? 4:10s should do the job, I would like to change mine out to a 3:55. I have 8 speeds with my T-19 and the DNE-2, it is similar to the US Gear unit.

beretzs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Warden, I would say you would be right close to 20MPG with the GV on top of your 5 speed. Plus or minus a MPG or so. The GV with drop your final RPM by 500, so if you are turning 2500, you will be turning 2000 with the GV engaged. Scotty

Guntherx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed a US Gear unit this summer behind a C6 and 4:10's. I pulled 24,000 in the form of a 5'er to Colorado with NO turbo. I found that I would not want any lower gears than what I have. Without a load I just run it in high range.

You said you would like to have 8 gears. My experience says, with an auto you won't use it that way. The tranny shifts way to fast and pulls up through the gears without needing to split gears. I found that when I was running hills,I might split back to direct in 3, and then try to split back to 2 over, but it is really just a small amount. Its OK. What I found to be better was to go 3 over => 2 over =>then 2 direct.

I couldn't run my truck well the way it was without the over with the C6 only. What a ROYAL PAIN IN THE A_ _ oops this is the family channel isn't it! Anyway if you have an over now, I'm not sure how much this is going to help unless you like cruising at 100+.

stever8761

Reaction score
Joe Mc said:
What type of mountains are you looking at and how much weight are you planning to pull? 4:10s should do the job, I would like to change mine out to a 3:55. I have 8 speeds with my T-19 and the DNE-2, it is similar to the US Gear unit.

I've been thinking about that! I'm looking at the Beech Mtn, NC area. We've been going up there for the last 18 years. Some of the runs are rather long, I could be hauling loads of rock, sod, firewood and would like to be able to pull a car/equipment hauler @ more than 15 mph.

I'm wondering if the 4.10s would be enough. Will probably install the splitter and see how it does, then adjust the gears if needed later!!

I just glad to see people with the units and that they all seem to be pleased ;Sweet !

stever8761

Reaction score
Guntherx said:
unless you like cruising at 100+.

Not at all!! That's why I was thinking of the higher gear. I know those runs can be a real bear sometimes and I thought the extra "gears" would help stay in the right torque/hp range. Was also thinking they might help in the decent. I've burned(damn near) the brakes up on the Suburban, seemed like 2nd was to low and 3rd let the truck run away!

rmyers2051

KV8OOA
Reaction score
Mines a 4x4, 5spd, with 4.10 and a GV overdrive. REGULARLY get 22+mpg, when pulling my trailer I always have the right gear to keep the rpms in pulling zone no matter how fast or slow traffic is running. 63mph is 1650rpms, 3200rpms will get you a 27 second mile.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online